REFLECTOR: oil temp problems solved
Scott Derrick
scott at tnstaafl.net
Fri Apr 13 10:19:16 CDT 2007
Tom,
I think now that you have the CHT's reduced through better sealed
baffles you can ditch the 2nd cooler and retain the same readings.
Would be an interesting experiment if it is mechanically easy to do and
you are so inclined.. I reduced my oil temps and CHT's a similar amount
after sealing up my engine baffles.
Scott
Tom wrote:
> After several attempts at making the one oil cooler scenario work, I
> gave up and added a 2nd cooler-steady temps dropped from 240 to 195. I
> placed the 2nd cooler on the upper engine baffle (strongly braced). I
> made a 3" tee (45 degree) out of aluminum tubing and share the ram air
> for the induction with the duct for the new cooler. Flew plane this
> morning and the manifold pressure appears to be the same, guess the ram
> air was a bit of overkill in stock configuration. I do believe that the
> vernatherm is the main issue in causing higher temps. The extra plumbing
> intrinsic to the Velocity design increases oil pressure and at cruise
> speed keeps the vernatherm partially open. When you pull power and the
> pressure decreases you can see an immediate drop in temps. Although I
> did install a new vernatherm I've saved the old one to modify for
> testing. While I was at it, I sealed up the baffling and the CHTs
> dropped from 375 to 320. Life is good! Now I can start playing with the
> avionics (after Sun-N-Fun).
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
>
>
>
--
-
What county can preserve its liberties, if its rulers are not warned from time to time that its people preserve the spirit of resistance.
Thomas Jefferson
More information about the Reflector
mailing list