REFLECTOR: oil temp problems solved

Tom tomcat05 at comcast.net
Fri Apr 13 08:34:56 CDT 2007


After several attempts at making the one oil cooler scenario work, I 
gave up and added a 2nd cooler-steady temps dropped from 240 to 195. I 
placed the 2nd cooler on the upper engine baffle (strongly braced). I 
made a 3" tee (45 degree) out of aluminum tubing and share the ram air 
for the induction with the duct for the new cooler. Flew plane this 
morning and the manifold pressure appears to be the same, guess the ram 
air was a bit of overkill in stock configuration. I do believe that the 
vernatherm is the main issue in causing higher temps. The extra plumbing 
intrinsic to the Velocity design increases oil pressure and at cruise 
speed keeps the vernatherm partially open. When you pull power and the 
pressure decreases you can see an immediate drop in temps. Although I 
did install a new vernatherm I've saved the old one to modify for 
testing. While I was at it, I sealed up the baffling and the CHTs 
dropped from 375 to 320. Life is good! Now I can start playing with the 
avionics (after Sun-N-Fun).


More information about the Reflector mailing list