REFLECTOR: Aileron Cables(Fire-sleeving)

Alex alex157 at pwhome.com
Tue Apr 10 12:51:54 CDT 2007


Brian- are you running exhaust wrap on your turbo? I have started to install
it on mine as well, has an aluminum foil-like exterior- will probably wrap
the cables in the same material for good measure- probably the radiant heat
from exhaust is not so much of a problem as an actual fire back there-
although I would figure that the metal cables would be fairly functional
even if the plastic melted off-  

-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of michalk
Sent: Tuesday, April 10, 2007 12:20 PM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Aileron Cables(Fire-sleeving)

Thank you.
I have always wondered how the laws of thermodynamics were allowing us to
protect those cables.

I think ceramic coating the exhaust is easier, cheaper, lighter and more
reliable than installing heat shields.

I placed a temperature dot on the firewall which is less than an inch from
the turbo exhaust.  The dot turns colors at 140C.  I have had five engine
runs so far and the dot has not changed colors.

It will be interesting to see what happens when I start making boost.

Laurence Coen wrote:
> All,
> 
> Fire-sleeving will work on things like liquid carrying lines, (oil and 
> fuel), because the liquid flow cools the line and the fire-sleeve 
> slows the transfer of heat into the line.  Putting it on the aileron 
> cables will slow the melt-down but not prevent it.  Using a heat shield is
a better solution.
> 
> Larry Coen
> N136LC
> 
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Keith Hallsten" <KeithHallsten at quiknet.com>
> To: "'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list'" 
> <reflector at tvbf.org>
> Sent: Monday, April 09, 2007 3:19 PM
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Aileron Cables
> 
> 
>> About year 2000 it was determined experimentally (at the moment I 
>> forget by
>> who) that the original aileron push-pull cables could seize if 
>> overheated (by say, an exhaust leak) in flight.  [The plane was 
>> landed successfully with rudders alone.]
>>
>> This got the collective attention of the reflectorites and a bunch of 
>> us went in on a group buy of higher- temperature-rated push-pull 
>> cables.  At that time it was also emphasized by all that we should be 
>> fire-sleeving the portion of the cables that is on the engine side of 
>> the firewall.  I believe that Velocity subsequently began providing a 
>> higher temperature-rated push-pull cable for their kits, but I'm not 
>> sure about that.
>>
>> I don't know if anyone tested the original push-pull cables with 
>> firesleeve in a fire or major exhaust leak (no one wanted to 
>> volunteer), so it's not known whether that is sufficient.  You could 
>> be that volunteer and let the rest of us know how it works out!
>>
>> Keith Hallsten
>>
>>
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] 
>> On Behalf Of lawrence epstein
>> Sent: Monday, April 09, 2007 4:37 PM
>> To: reflector at tvbf.org
>> Subject: REFLECTOR: Aileron Cables
>>
>> I know that years ago it was determined that the Aileron push-pull 
>> cables had to be fire sleeved on the engine side of the firewall. I 
>> have the original cables. Do these need to be replaced entirely, or 
>> can I just put fire sleeve over them?
>>
>> Larry Epstein
>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> To change your email address, visit
>> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>
>> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose 
>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail Check old archives: 
>> http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> To change your email address, visit
>> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>
>> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose 
>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail Check old archives: 
>> http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>>
> 
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit 
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> 
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose 
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail Check old archives: 
> http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html

_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose Check
new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail Check old archives:
http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html




More information about the Reflector mailing list