REFLECTOR: alternator field switch

Al Gietzen ALVentures at cox.net
Mon Apr 9 11:59:48 CDT 2007


Perhaps on a 40 hp engine with a 50 A alternator it might be an issue for
the first couple of minutes after engine start.  By the time you'd taxi to
the end of the runway the battery would be near full charge - or if not, the
alternator isn't working anyway, and there wouldn't be a load to be
concerned, but perhaps you wouldn't want to fly very far:-).

 

Al

 

-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of gpoole
Sent: Sunday, April 08, 2007 6:32 PM
To: 'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list'
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: alternator field switch

 

I attended a talk by an old CFI at the National Australian Ultralight Fly
In. One of the guy's comments that I found most interesting was that, if you
really did need full power - particularly from an engine that is not fully
warmed up, then switch off the alternator for take off. He said it is
amazing just how much load the alternater puts on an engine  - particularly
if the battery is not in fully charged condition.

 

Greg in Sydney. 

 <mailto:gregpoole at saaachapter11.com> gregpoole at saaachapter11.com 

-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of Al Gietzen
Sent: Saturday, 7 April 2007 4:53 PM
To: 'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list'
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: alternator field switch

 

I saw no need to have a switch for the alternator field.  You do want
over-voltage 'crow-bar' circuit which will pop the breaker, or otherwise
open the circuit, in the event of excessive voltage.  I put in a pullable
breaker in the event I want the field off.  

 

Assuming you have a voltage readout, and I think you should, a quick glance
at the voltage tells you if the alternator and regulator are working
properly.

 

FWIW,

 

Al

 

Subject: REFLECTOR: alternator field switch

 

I'm starting to wire up my panel. Why is there a switch for the alternator?
So I can shut it off in case the voltage regulator and the over voltage
relay quit working?  

 

Doug Holub


--
No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG Free Edition.
Version: 7.5.446 / Virus Database: 268.18.26/748 - Release Date: 5/04/2007
3:33 PM



--
No virus found in this outgoing message.
Checked by AVG Free Edition.
Version: 7.5.446 / Virus Database: 268.18.26/752 - Release Date: 8/04/2007
8:34 PM


-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20070409/aa2eb73e/attachment.htm 


More information about the Reflector mailing list