REFLECTOR: alternator field switch
gpoole
gpoole at zeta.org.au
Sun Apr 8 23:23:22 CDT 2007
I’ll take the extra 4 HP every time when faced with a sphincter tightening
takeoff situation Doug!
;^)
Greg
HYPERLINK "mailto:gregpoole at saaachapter11.com"gregpoole at saaachapter11.com
-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of Douglas Holub
Sent: Monday, 9 April 2007 1:40 PM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: alternator field switch
That's interesting. I think many production aircraft are shipped with a 70
amp, 28 volt alternator standard. Generating that 2 kW of power (2.6 hp)
would probably remove 4 hp from the propeller drive shaft.
----- Original Message -----
From: HYPERLINK "mailto:gpoole at zeta.org.au"gpoole
To: HYPERLINK "mailto:reflector at tvbf.org"'Velocity Aircraft Owners and
Builders list'
Sent: Sunday, April 08, 2007 9:31 PM
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: alternator field switch
I attended a talk by an old CFI at the National Australian Ultralight Fly
In. One of the guy’s comments that I found most interesting was that, if you
really did need full power – particularly from an engine that is not fully
warmed up, then switch off the alternator for take off. He said it is
amazing just how much load the alternater puts on an engine - particularly
if the battery is not in fully charged condition.
Greg in Sydney.
HYPERLINK "mailto:gregpoole at saaachapter11.com"gregpoole at saaachapter11.com
-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of Al Gietzen
Sent: Saturday, 7 April 2007 4:53 PM
To: 'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list'
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: alternator field switch
I saw no need to have a switch for the alternator field. You do want
over-voltage ‘crow-bar’ circuit which will pop the breaker, or otherwise
open the circuit, in the event of excessive voltage. I put in a pullable
breaker in the event I want the field off.
Assuming you have a voltage readout, and I think you should, a quick glance
at the voltage tells you if the alternator and regulator are working
properly.
FWIW,
Al
Subject: REFLECTOR: alternator field switch
I'm starting to wire up my panel. Why is there a switch for the alternator?
So I can shut it off in case the voltage regulator and the over voltage
relay quit working?
Doug Holub
--
No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG Free Edition.
Version: 7.5.446 / Virus Database: 268.18.26/748 - Release Date: 5/04/2007
3:33 PM
--
No virus found in this outgoing message.
Checked by AVG Free Edition.
Version: 7.5.446 / Virus Database: 268.18.26/752 - Release Date: 8/04/2007
8:34 PM
_____
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
--
No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG Free Edition.
Version: 7.5.446 / Virus Database: 268.18.26/752 - Release Date: 8/04/2007
8:34 PM
--
No virus found in this outgoing message.
Checked by AVG Free Edition.
Version: 7.5.446 / Virus Database: 268.18.26/752 - Release Date: 8/04/2007
8:34 PM
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20070409/137fa6f3/attachment.htm
More information about the Reflector
mailing list