REFLECTOR: Leak testing Fuel Strake
RICHARD J VANDERSTEEN
rvandersteen at sbcglobal.net
Fri Apr 6 19:14:39 CDT 2007
I used an air speed indicator and blew it up to 160K.
Check it 24 hours later and apx same temp. Worked
great.
--- Andy Millin <amillin at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Larry,
>
> I believe the refrigerant and sniffer would be used
> to find a "known" leak.
>
> If you are in the initial testing phase, the first
> step would be basic.
> Seal the tank and add low air pressure. I'm not
> sure that you even need 2
> psi. Just enough that you can detect the difference
> between the tank and
> ambient. I have seen altimeters and water
> manometers used. It will need to
> be sensitive as you will not have a large pressure
> differential.
>
> I would recommend you leave the tank under pressure
> for at least 24 hours
> before taking your reading. Remember you will have
> some potential change
> due simply to changes in ambient pressure.
>
> If you want to be very thorough, you would test the
> tanks with the craft at
> rest, then test with the wings stressed (force from
> underneath) simulating
> lift.
>
> FWIW,
>
> Andy
>
> _____
>
> From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org
> [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
> Behalf Of Milehitaz at aol.com
> Sent: Friday, April 06, 2007 2:04 AM
> To: reflector at tvbf.org
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Leak testing Fuel Strake
>
>
>
> Forgive me wise collective:
>
> I know I have read several of the posts before,
> never paid enough attention
> to the answers as it always seemed like it would be
> so long before I needed
> the info...
>
> Other than refrigerant and a "sniffer" to test the
> "seal" on my
> strakes...Does someone have a good method they can
> share? My thought was low
> air pressure, 2 to 3 psi and a water bottle with a
> little soap in it
> ....spray around the outside of the strake... see if
> I can blow some
> bubbles...Thanks in advance for your input,
> Larry Lambert XL/RG
>
>
>
>
> _____
>
> See what's free at AOL.com
> <http://www.aol.com?ncid=AOLAOF00020000000503> .
> > _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
More information about the Reflector
mailing list