REFLECTOR: Ethanol

davedent at comcast.net davedent at comcast.net
Fri Sep 29 11:36:37 CDT 2006


Another food for thought is the fact that an AD came out a few years ago related to composite floats in carburetor.  They use to have brass floats for a number of years then they changed to plastic floats or foam type because the brass leaked and sank.  Then when the ethanol showed up in the fuel and people started putting car gas in their tanks they went back to the brass floats.  Some of us never got rid of the brass floats and they went back in.  I know one fellow that kept a whole box of them, just knowing they would come back.  

So related to putting ethanol in your tanks, not only is it not a good idea related to composite fuel tanks but if you don't know what type of float you have in your carburetor then don't use it.  Also the ethanol is climatically controled related to your area, 100LL is not.  Also the octane rating can jump all over the place.  Bottom line, I wouldn't even consider it. 
Dave

-------------- Original message -------------- 
From: "Dave Bertram" <v350tx at comcast.net> 
When I talked to Len there was no problem with the Airflow Performance parts.  We were only concerned with the tanks.  Since I have the newer coating of epoxy there is no problem.  
Dave Bertram 

-------Original Message-------

From: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Date: 09/28/06 12:57:24
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: REFLECTOR: Ethanol

Hi Dave;

I was told by Len Bechtold that Ethanol was a no no in
the Air Performance injection system. I have to admit
I haven't called AirPerformance and asked them! Don
you know different?
Mike

--- Dave Bertram <v350tx at comcast.net> wrote:

> I will ditto what Mike has said since I also got my
> engine from Team-38.
> The PSRU is gear type  and is used in airboats (some
> with over 1000 hp).
> However  I have been running 92octane mogas with
> ethanol all summer without
> any problems.
> Dave Bertram
> N350TX
>
> -------Original Message-------
>
> From: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
> Date: 09/28/06 02:43:13
> To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: MUSCLE PLANES
>
> We are running a www.team-38.com Chevy ZZ383.
> The engine was completely gone thru by Team-38
> ,Iconal
> valves installed, blue printed and balanced then
> dynoed and broken in. Engine cradle and mounts
> provided, a MT electric constant speed prop matched
> to
> a to a 1.73 to 1 planetary gear P.S.R.U. Radiator
> and
> cooling fan also provided as well as a MSD ignition
> system. Smooth, 350+ HP drag plane but $$$47,000.00
> for the package. Several people have fabricated
> there
> own installations from aluminum dart blocked 427cu
> screamers to the corvette LS6 with no mods at all.
>   The LS6 is becoming the engine of choice as the
> factory ECU can be re-programed for aircraft
> performance curves. You can do it all yourself or
> buy
> any part of it. Somebody here knows how!
> In the end it can be cheaper as you can rebuild for
> much less $$$ and run 92 octane mogas but no
> Ethanol!
> You do need a gear reduction unit as you can not
> turn
> the engine slow enough for direct drive and avoid
> detonation problems. At least not easily.
> Mike
>
> --- Tom Martino <tmartino at troubleshooter.com> wrote:
>
> >
> > You know ... the more I mess with airplanes (now
> > going on 30+ years) and
> > the more I look at aircraft engines ... the more I
> > realize that they
> > don't hold a candlestick to automotive technology.
> > So ... in contemplating my next project (which may
> > or may not be a V)
> > ... what is the wisdom here regarding powerful
> > automobile engines.  I
> > want something comparable to more powerful that
> the
> > IO-550 or the
> > IO-540.
> > I know there are a few guys here who are running
> > Chevys.  Here's what I
> > would like to know:
> > -Do you have to convert your auto engine?  Or are
> > there companies that
> > do it for you?
> > -Are they heavier than standard aircraft engines?
> > -Do they require a lot of fabrication and
> > modification?  What about
> > engine mounts?
> > -Are they quieter?  Do they run smoother?
> > -Do you need gear reduction drives?
> > -Do they end up being cheaper?  Or more expensive?
> > Thanks for any info.
> > Tom
> >
> > > _______________________________________________
> > To change your email address, visit
> > http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> >
> > Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> > user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> > Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> > Check old archives:
> http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
>
> __________________________________________________
> Do You Yahoo!?
> Tired of spam?  Yahoo! Mail has the best spam
> protection around
> http://mail.yahoo.com>
_______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives:
http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html


__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Tired of spam?  Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
http://mail.yahoo.com
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html


 
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20060929/049a000f/attachment.htm 
-------------- next part --------------
An embedded message was scrubbed...
From: "Dave Bertram" <v350tx at comcast.net>
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Ethanol
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 02:37:10 +0000
Size: 803
Url: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20060929/049a000f/attachment.mht 


More information about the Reflector mailing list