REFLECTOR: Cabin Air

Ron Brown romott at adelphia.net
Mon Sep 25 06:44:46 CDT 2006


Hiroo,

Unless you have sealed up the space between the Center Section Spar and Wing Spar, cabin air will exhaust out through this space.  The kit comes with a reverse scoop that you can silicone to the bolt access hole to provide some suction.

Ronnie
  ----- Original Message ----- 
  From: Hiroo Umeno 
  To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list 
  Sent: Sunday, September 24, 2006 11:46 PM
  Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Another Velocity in the air!


  I have an overhead duct that has four "eyeballs" per seat.  In addtion, I have a pair of fresh air vents under panel for the two front passengers.

  What I do not have is an effitient way of pulling the air OUT OF the cabin.  That is one idea I will be working on this winter.

  In addition, I am working on a concept for adding a row of vents right under the windshield in front of the glare shield that directs airflow to the windshield with cold / hot air for that will work both as fresh air as well as defrost for the windshield.

  Hiroo



------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On Behalf Of Douglas Holub
  Sent: Sunday, September 24, 2006 5:52 PM
  To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
  Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Another Velocity in the air!


  Hiroo,

  You said that better cabin ventilation was on your "to do" list. How are you ventilating the cabin now?

  Doug Holub
    ----- Original Message ----- 
    From: Hiroo Umeno 
    To: reflector at tvbf.org 
    Sent: Tuesday, September 05, 2006 12:22 PM
    Subject: REFLECTOR: Another Velocity in the air!


    I jumped the gun and started posting about Franklin engines so the news is out now but just to make it "official", I will post it here.

     

    On August 24th, at 3:04pm PST, Velocity SUV (serial 103) N21HV took off for the first time from Arlington Airport (AWO) with Steve Murphree at the controls.  The first flight lasted a short 12 minutes.  Steve reported that the aileron force was stiff (I have the yoke setup) and had the tendency to over-control.  He also noted that the oil temps were running hot as well.  Back at the hangar, we lubed the controls, ground off some fiberglass from wing - aileron gap that were rubbing, and generally loosened up things a bit.

     

    The next morning, Chuck Harbert came out with a couple pairs of vortex generators he made for us (Thanks Chuck!).  We put those ahead of the top NACA scoops and, like magic, the oil temps came down.  Steve also noted some left leaning tendency and stuck some mixing sticks on the right rudder.  That seemed to help things a bit.

     

    The following two days (Sat and Sun), Steve ran me through the wringer drilling me on the finer points of flying the Velocity.  Some bad habits from Cessnas I have to get rid of.

      a.. On take-off, I am used to firewalling the throttle, pull the nose up and keep best climb and wait for the altimeter needle to crawl up to where I want it.  On a Velocity, as soon as I get to safe altitude (500AGL, which takes "seconds"), I need to pull the throttle back, pitch down, set climb power / prop, and get some air flowing over those cylinders. 
      b.. On landing, keeping the nose relatively low, instead of burying the yoke in your gut as you do on Spam Cans. 
     

    This weekend, I put another couple quality hours on the plane generally getting used to the machine and brushing up on my landings using the really long runway at Paine Field (PAE).  I am getting the plane down and stopped in about 4'000 now.

     

    As you've all seen in my other thread, I am having issues with Frankling starting and running a bit rough.  Both of which, the consensus appears to be, is related to fouled mags from running full-rich for break-in.  Seems like I need to get out my wire-brush next time I head out to the hangar.

     

    Some squawks and "to do"s now.

     

      a.. Attitude indication for Chelton AHRS dropping when accelerating past 30Kts or so. 
      b.. Static port getting high-pressure from fuselage side / canard leading edge. 
      c.. Better cabin ventilation 
      d.. Engine primer (as discussed separatedly) 
     

    In general, I love the way the thing flies!  Every time I am in a turn or something and look over and see the wingtip, it brings a grin in my face.

     

    Hiroo

     



----------------------------------------------------------------------------


    _______________________________________________
    To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

    Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
    user:pw     Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
    Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html


------------------------------------------------------------------------------


  _______________________________________________
  To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

  Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
  user:pw   Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
  Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20060925/3c21aa34/attachment-0001.html 


More information about the Reflector mailing list