REFLECTOR: painting fuselage
Terry Miles
terrence_miles at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 22 07:52:31 CDT 2006
Scott,
Chuck is right I am becoming too intimately familiar with how to (and
how not to) paint airplanes. I haven't ever mentioned my web sight on
the reflector because it is in such disarray but go to
www.knightflyr.com and look in the paint section. A lot of the text is
missing. Go to dupont.com and register. Right away they give you
access to all their how to phamphlets. Lots of good advice.
I've got some questions for you.
What are you doing?....the undercoating or the top coating. For the
fuselage: we took the prop off. I have a tail stand for safety reasons
all the time. Make yourself a very short saw horse and set the airplane
to rest nose high on the prop attach flange. (Most the weight will
still on the gear.) This way you can paint underneath and not have
problems with gun angle. Have both a syphon gun and the gravity gun.
Get a cheapie short mechanics roll around chair and also a creaper.
(Michaelangelo eat your hear out).
The thing likely to be careful of is too much build up on the leading
edge of the strake.
I can't find it right off, but I did make notes on painting sequence.
I'll look some more over the weekend. But he is some off the top of my
head. Go with the dry gun and pretend your way all the way thru. I did
that. I would go with the top first because you have to get paint in
the NACAs lips. So do that from the front of them. Then go around to
the back and get the rest of a aft roof so you can keep a wet edge.
Then back around to the front and get the rest of the roof.
I gotta go. Sorry to be so brief. I'll get back soon when I can
locate/colate more of this mountain of data I have collected.
Terry
knightflyr at sbcglobal.net
773-580-4642
Call me (anybody)...anytime on airplanes
-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of Chuck Jensen
Sent: Thursday, September 21, 2006 8:29 PM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: painting fuselage
Terry 'Michelangelo' Miles can likely give you some pointers...he's
going through that process right now.
Chuck Jensen
> -----Original Message-----
> From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org
> [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On Behalf Of Scott Derrick
> Sent: Thursday, September 21, 2006 8:18 PM
> To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
> Subject: REFLECTOR: painting fuselage
>
>
> I'm a couple days from painting my fuselage .
>
> The wings are off. Any hints on the perfect sequence?
>
> My plan is paint the bottom of the fuselage, then the bottom
> of the left
> strake, bottom of right strake, top of left strake, top of
> right strake,
> top of fuselage..
>
> Scott
>
> --
>
> -
> The only security of all is in a free press. The force of
> public opinion cannot be resisted when permitted freely to be
> expressed. The agitation it produces must be submitted to. It
> is necessary, to keep the waters pure.
>
> Thomas Jefferson to Lafayette, 1823. ME 15:491
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives:
> http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
More information about the Reflector
mailing list