REFLECTOR: MT props

Dave Philipsen velocity at davebiz.com
Wed Sep 20 18:23:19 CDT 2006


I went on an air safari once in Australia with my brother-in-law.  The 
outfit was called GOANA.  We flew all the way from the east cost through 
the outback to Ayers Rock with many stops in between.  Only one of the 
places where we landed could really be considered a "soft field".  It 
was a ranch with a dirt/grass runway.  The dozen or so other airports 
where we landed were generally asphalt (probably for a good reason!).  
But, the fellow who ran the operation, Mal Shipton, told us that he 
replaced props (aluminum ones on Cessna 172s) way more often than 
normal.  He claimed this was due to rocks, gravel, dust, etc. which is 
much more prevalent there either because of lack of runway maintenance 
or lack of rain.  So, apparently, Australia is hard on even the aluminum 
props.


Scott Baker wrote:
> Greg,
> You may want to amplify/describe the conditions present on a "typical" 
> runway in Australia.  Based on your earlier posts, I understand that 
> most runways are gravel or have a lot of small stones.
> Those who don't know your situation may take your comments about Mt 
> propellers and associate them to operations at their home town 
> 4,000' smooth asphalt surface runway.
> Best regards,
> Scott B.
>  
>  
>
>     ----- Original Message -----
>     *From:* gpoole <mailto:gpoole at zeta.org.au>
>     *To:* 'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list'
>     <mailto:reflector at tvbf.org>
>     *Sent:* Wednesday, September 20, 2006 3:59 PM
>     *Subject:* Re: REFLECTOR: MT props
>
>     *Wish I could say the same with the 6 cylinder (IO 540)
>     application down here – way too much prop fodder on Australian air
>     strips for such a soft finish on the MT…..significant damage
>     apparent every flight.*
>
>     ** 
>
>     *Greg in **Sydney** *
>     *gregpoole at saaachapter11.com* <mailto:gregpoole at saaachapter11.com>
>
>      
>
>     -----Original Message-----
>     *From:* reflector-bounces at tvbf.org
>     <mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org>
>     [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] *On Behalf Of *HYTEC45 at aol.com
>     *Sent:* Wednesday, 20 September 2006 11:33 PM
>     *To:* reflector at tvbf.org
>     *Subject:* Re: REFLECTOR: MT props
>
>      
>
>     In a message dated 9/19/2006 8:14:07 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
>     fmarconi at bellsouth.net writes:
>
>         My experience has been contrary to the story in this
>         communication.  I have 250 hrs in a basically trouble free
>         propeller, KNOCK ON WOOD.  MT has been extremely cordial and
>         willing to help me out.  I flew to Deland a while back on a
>         concern and I was taken care of at no charge.  That was after
>         over 100 hrs. of flight. 
>
>          
>
>         I am sure if Velocity was getting grief from it's clients
>         because of the MT propellers they would not be recommending it.
>
>     We still forget I am referring to the application on a IO-360C1C,
>     not the Six Cylinders.  I make this reference in each post
>     regarding this issue.  This has been hashed over before, and I
>     agree that the six cylinders do not have an issue.
>
>      
>
>     It's nice to be close to mt Florida.  Not all of us are. 
>     There facility here in California, has told me that they have big
>     problems with this application.  They will no longer work on my
>     prop due to there not being a fix in there opinion.
>
>      
>
>     Let's talk apples to apples here please.  I am glad you have had
>     trouble free experiences with mt, I wish my experience on no one.
>
>      
>
>     Best, TEC
>
>      
>
>
>     --
>     No virus found in this incoming message.
>     Checked by AVG Free Edition.
>     Version: 7.1.405 / Virus Database: 268.12.5/451 - Release Date:
>     19/09/2006
>
>
>     --
>     No virus found in this outgoing message.
>     Checked by AVG Free Edition.
>     Version: 7.1.405 / Virus Database: 268.12.5/451 - Release Date:
>     19/09/2006
>
>     ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>     _______________________________________________
>     To change your email address, visit
>     http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
>     Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>     user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>     Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>     Check old archives:
>     http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html

-- 
Dave Philipsen
STDFG
N171SP




More information about the Reflector mailing list