REFLECTOR: Attaching wing cores -- formerly Epoxy Pump Ratio
Alex Balic
alex157 at pwhome.com
Sun Sep 17 17:04:57 CDT 2006
Actually, I used the great stuff foam (foam in a can) just squirted it on
there, and then rubbed the cores together to knock the foam down/spread it-
got a fine line that sanded just like the rest of the blue foam- make sure
you don't over do it with the foam- doesn't take much and spread it thin- it
is basically the same stuff as "gorilla" glue, but lighter bodied because of
the foaming agent. Great tack too. Decided to do that after my first try on
the left wing leading edge cores was difficult to sand smith because of the
immense difference in sandability between the micro and the blue foam.
Alex
-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of Keith Hallsten
Sent: Sunday, September 17, 2006 4:56 PM
To: 'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list'
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Attaching wing cores -- formerly Epoxy Pump Ratio
The color is not a critical factor, but really fresh hardener is light
green. It turns brown over time.
-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of Steve Goldman
Sent: Sunday, September 17, 2006 10:26 AM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Attaching wing cores -- formerly Epoxy Pump Ratio
Andy Millin wrote:
> Steve,
>
> Years after I had done my wings, Alex posted that he used pour foam to
bond
> his cores. I just had to smile. I wished someone had suggested that for
> me. It would have been faster. Not that I'm in a hurry. :)
>
You, a hurry! :-)
> The big advantage would be in working with the foam after. The micro will
> be much harder than the foam and it can/will make the prep work harder. I
> would seriously look into this technique if I were you. I think it is
> better.
Too late, at least for the leading edges. They are curing now. One thing
that
surprised me is how much darker the epoxy is. The hardener is quite dark.
When
I did the EAA composite class in Feb. when you added the micro the end
result
was pretty much white. With the epoxy I have it is more of a medium yellow.
The epoxy I tested seemed to harden fine so I expect this is just a
difference
between the West System we used in Lakeland and the epoxy I have now.
--
Steve Goldman
'77 Tiger N28531
Velocity XL5-RG (T-3482hrs)
Pittsboro, NC (9NC8)
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
More information about the Reflector
mailing list