REFLECTOR: Attaching wing cores -- formerly Epoxy Pump Ratio

Steve Goldman steve at fatcatair.com
Sun Sep 17 12:25:39 CDT 2006


Andy Millin wrote:
> Steve,
> 
> Years after I had done my wings, Alex posted that he used pour foam to bond
> his cores.  I just had to smile.  I wished someone had suggested that for
> me.  It would have been faster.  Not that I'm in a hurry. :)
> 
You, a hurry!  :-)

> The big advantage would be in working with the foam after.  The micro will
> be much harder than the foam and it can/will make the prep work harder.  I
> would seriously look into this technique if I were you.  I think it is
> better.

Too late, at least for the leading edges. They are curing now. One thing that
surprised me is how much darker the epoxy is. The hardener is quite dark. When
I did the EAA composite class in Feb. when you added the micro the end result
was pretty much white. With the epoxy I have it is more of a medium yellow.
The epoxy I tested seemed to harden fine so I expect this is just a difference
between the West System we used in Lakeland and the epoxy I have now.

-- 
Steve Goldman
'77 Tiger N28531
Velocity XL5-RG (T-3482hrs)
Pittsboro, NC (9NC8)


More information about the Reflector mailing list