REFLECTOR: Franklin

Laurence Coen lwcoen at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 16 11:49:47 CDT 2006


Hiroo,

Our fuel systems are basically the same with a few minor differences.  First 
thing that you mention is that your fuel delivery line comes from the bottom 
of the sump.  The bottom of the sump on my plane goes to the sump drain and 
the fuel delivery is located an inch or so higher so that any water or 
debris stay in the sump to be drained during preflight.  The second thing I 
find as odd is that you get flow when you turn on your boost pump.  On my 
system the head pressure alone will fill my carburetor float bowl.  I cannot 
open my fuel system anywhere without closing the shutoff valve first.  The 
opening pressure of the bypass valve could overcome the head pressure and 
prevent gravity feed to the carburetor but this shouldn't be a problem if 
you run the boost pump until pressure at the carburetor is stable and the 
flow is zero.  When I turn on my boost pump I don't see any flow and the 
pressure comes up in a second or less.  The boost pump supplies the pressure 
to prime the engine and is then turned off prior to start.  Any air in the 
fuel line will be purged by running the boost pump.  I hope that this is of 
some help.

Larry Coen
N136LC
  ----- Original Message ----- 
  From: Hiroo Umeno
  To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
  Sent: Friday, September 15, 2006 8:46 PM
  Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Franklin


  Last weekend, I went to the hangar with my wife.  We pulled the cowl off, 
pulled the plug and went to work on them.  While there was no sign of 
deposit evident on them, some of them (particularly bottoms of No. 5 and No. 
6) were soaked with oil.  We soaked all of them in lacquer thinned, then 
took stainless-steel brushes to clean off any deposit that might have 
formed.  After drying them all out, we put graphite lube on the threads and 
installed them to 360inch/lb torque.  While the cowl still off, I tried 
starting it again.

  This time, it will not start AT ALL.  I tried about 6 times, each time 
cranking for about 10 - 15 seconds each.  Heeding you'all's advise, I did 
not pump the throttle while not cranking and I tried one and two strokes of 
throttle movement on two occasions.  I tried booster ON and OFF, Mixture 
rich and leaned.  After each attempt, I let the engine sit for a minute or 
so so as not to build up unburnt fuel in the system.

  I suspected flooding or otherwise over-fueling, so after some of the 
attempts, I got out and sniffed around the exhaust for AVGAS smell.  To my 
surprize, I did not smell much at all.  Admittedly, it was a bit of a windy 
day but I was standing downwind and I would have smelled fuel.

  I should note that I got it to make the "Brr" noise once indicating there 
was some ignition but it did not catch.

  My fuel system is a fairly standard FG setup with sump and electrical 
boost pump.  I have the Franklin fuel pump AD done with a bypass with a 
check valve.  I do not have the primer yet (parts are on order).

  The sump pickup is on the bottom as factory specifies and the fuel line 
run "uphill" for a bit to about halfway between the carry-through spar and 
fuselage bottom where the boost pump, flow sensor and fuel filter is 
located.  From there, the line goes through the firewall, to a T-fitting 
that separates the bypass line and the feed to the mechanical pump.  After 
the pumpl, it will re-merge and drop down to the Carb. The fuel pressure 
sensor is located at the Carb.

  When I turn on the boost pump prior to cranking, the fuel flow and 
pressure both indicate activity indicating that fuel is flowing.

  I am really scratching my head as to what may be causing this difficulty 
and how I could debug the problem.  With the electrical system, I can go 
around poing each connections with a multimeter and what not but I am at a 
loss as to what to do with the power plant.

  Somehow, I am suspecting that the fuel is not getting to the carb, based 
on the absense of fuel smell in the exhaust stack after unsuccessful tries. 
Is that a fair assumption?

  One thought that did occur this week was to run the electric boost pump 
until I see fuel pressure and continue running until I see the flow drop to 
near 0 indicating that the bowl on the Carb is full and the float has tipped 
the fuel supply off.  Perhaps the fuel line is filled with air while the 
aircraft sits on the ground.

  Is this a sound reasoning?

  Hiroo





------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On 
Behalf Of Laurence Coen
  Sent: Tuesday, September 05, 2006 8:47 AM
  To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
  Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Franklin


  Hiroo,

  Here's how I did it.  I made my primer injectors form two AN822-2D elbows 
that are screwed into the bottom center primer port on each manifold.  The 
original Franklin primer manifold injects fuel at three points in each 
manifold. The threads on the manifold plug are straight and not pipe.  You 
can convert them to pipe by running a pipe tap in a few turns because the 
thread pitch and diameter are a match.  I made a spray nozzle by tapping the 
inside of the AN822-2D for a short brass screw and drilling it lengthwise 
with a #60 drill.  I used #2 Permatex on the threads so it couldn't vibrate 
loose.  You need to tee into your fuel system on the pressure side of your 
electric fuel pump.  This goes to a solenoid valve which is in turn plumbed 
to the injectors.  You will need wire and a push button switch to operate 
the solenoid valve.

  From Aircraft Spruce

  Solenoid valve P/N 05-29823
  elbows AN822-2D
  tee AN826-2D
  nipple AN816-2D
  nuts AN818-2D
  sleeve AN819-2D
  1/8" aluminum tubing
    ----- Original Message ----- 
    From: Hiroo Umeno
    To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
    Sent: Monday, September 04, 2006 11:21 PM
    Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Franklin


    Steven did warn me about the induction fire danger with pumping the 
throttle.  He told me that I can pump exactly once.

    It seems to me that a primer is a virtual necessity with one of these 
engines.  Does anyone have a part list for the setup?  I'd like to order the 
parts and get started on it next time when I head out to the hangar.  I 
imagine it is a fairly simple setup.

    Hiroo



----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On 
Behalf Of MikeWatsonSpg at cs.com
    Sent: Monday, September 04, 2006 12:21 PM
    To: reflector at tvbf.org
    Subject: REFLECTOR: Franklin


    Hiroo,

    What ever you do, please do not pump the throttle to
    start the engine. Both Denis and I had fires while trying
    to start our engines at F. 40

    I was lucky, no damage. Denis Miller cowls and firewall were
    burnt very badly. After that incident, we installed the
    fuel injector rails with a solenoid. Now our procedure
    for starting is the same as Larry stated. Follow Larry's
    suggestions and you will be OK.

    The Franklin is a great engine, it takes a lot of abuse,
    Idles like a dragster and runs as smooth as silk between
    2500 and 2700 RPM. Mine has given me excellent service
    for nine years now.

    Mike W.
    SERG Franklin/IVO Electric CS



----------------------------------------------------------------------------


    _______________________________________________
    To change your email address, visit 
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

    Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
    user:pw     Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
    Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html


------------------------------------------------------------------------------


  _______________________________________________
  To change your email address, visit 
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

  Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
  user:pw   Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
  Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html 
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20060916/19c88f4c/attachment.html 


More information about the Reflector mailing list