REFLECTOR: Flight data - Was Props

Ron Brown romott at adelphia.net
Thu Sep 14 16:11:38 CDT 2006


Also, make sure you have the left rudders retracting.  My WingCo wings were flying right wing heavy.  I added shims which didn't help much but I did notice that my right rudder was not retracting as much as the left.  The horn was hitting inside the rudder horn cavity.  After several tries at removing material, I got the right rudder to retract - and now she flies straight (I also removed the shims).  

As Scott Derrick will tell you, make sure you don't retract the rudder too much - lest you have a flutter.  

Ronnie
  ----- Original Message ----- 
  From: Rene Dugas 
  To: 'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list' 
  Sent: Thursday, September 14, 2006 3:57 PM
  Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Flight data - Was Props


  My Wingco wing turned right with incidences the same on the leveler.  I decreased the left wing incidence and when I got to level I split the difference and shimmed each wing for level flight.  Unfortunately I had to re fair the leading edges to match.

  Rene'



  -----Original Message-----
  From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On Behalf Of Al Gietzen
  Sent: Wednesday, September 13, 2006 10:42 AM
  To: 'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list'
  Subject: REFLECTOR: Flight data - Was Props



   ****That's with a 260 hp 3-rotor rotary engine****



  How's that working out for you Al? 

  Chris



  Had the plane in the air for ½ hour yesterday, basically orbiting the airport at about 3500 MSL (DA about 6500'); OAT of 90F.  With my augmented inlet scoop for the oil cooler, the engine temps were fine. Basically no envelope expansion yet, cruised level at 65-70% power.



  Typical data was 2050 prop RPM, TAS 160 kts (IAS about 145 kts).  Estimated power setting about 60-65%



  Continued problems with RWS engine controller (EC2) - spurious data setting changes.



  New problem is tendency for turning to the left - right control input needed to go straight, some right rudder needed to offset adverse yaw due to the aileron input.  Seems clearly a wing incidence issue.  Incidence checks with the gage shows both wings to be exactly the same; however, I have known since installing the wings that this was a concern because the leading edge profiles of the Wingco wings are not the same.  The incidence is going to have to be set by trial and error.  Major bummer.



  But, hey; it was up there flying, looking great and sounding great for a significant period of time, and came back safely.  Have to be happy about that.



  Al



------------------------------------------------------------------------------


  _______________________________________________
  To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

  Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
  user:pw   Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
  Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20060914/86ae07a0/attachment.html 


More information about the Reflector mailing list