REFLECTOR: NACA scoop
michalk
michalk at awpi.com
Tue Sep 12 08:30:15 CDT 2006
NACA's are easy. I made my own from Vlad's Excel calculator.
Download it here: http://www.tvbf.org/docs/nacascoop1.1.xls
Other good NACA stuff there as well
http://www.tvbf.org/docs/
Andy Millin wrote:
> Hey Dave,
>
> The simple answer to making my own is ... because I could. :)
>
> I image the factory scoop would work just fine. The factory scoop is
> naca-esque. I wanted a true NACA, and I could.
>
> NACA inlets work best when placed in areas with a thin boundary layer. For
> our purposes, anywhere in the nose area should work pretty well. At this
> point your placement decision will be more aesthetics. I'll bet that if the
> nose of the inlet is within a couple feet of the nose, you'll get plenty of
> fresh air. With this placement I doubt you will need VG's.
>
> I used a simple saber saw to make my fuselage cuts. Always cutting 1/8"
> inside the lines and filing the hole to the correct size. File and fit
> (repeat ... and then repeat some more) (big grin)
>
> Fly you plane up to Michigan, give me a ride, and I'll install it for you!
> ;)
>
> Best regards,
>
> Andy
>
>
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: Dave Philipsen [mailto:velocity at davebiz.com]
> Sent: Monday, September 11, 2006 8:37 PM
> To: amillin at sbcglobal.net; Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: NACA scoop
>
> Hi Andy,
>
> Why did you decide to make your own instead of the factory one?
> Currently, the oil cooler
> inlet on the belly is a NACA scoop. So, I suppose it would be better for me
> to locate one for cabin cooling on the side, eh? Since I'm an owner and not
> a builder, I'm looking for ideas...how to orient the scoop to work best, how
> large to make the scoop, what kind of saw to cut the scoop with, whether VGs
> ahead of the scoop would be beneficial, etc.
>
> Andy Millin wrote:
>
>>I made my own NACA. I still have the factory provided inlet molded part.
>>If you want it, it's yours.
>>
>>Andy
>>
>>-----Original Message-----
>>From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org]
>>On Behalf Of Rene Dugas
>>Sent: Monday, September 11, 2006 10:28 AM
>>To: velocity at davebiz.com; 'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list'
>>Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: NACA scoop
>>
>>I recommend smaller than the factory NACA and a large 3" nozzle inside.
>>The NACA could also be placed on the belly of the nose on a FG.
>>Rene'
>>
>>-----Original Message-----
>>From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org]
>>On Behalf Of Dave Philipsen
>>Sent: Sunday, September 10, 2006 9:51 PM
>>To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
>>Subject: REFLECTOR: NACA scoop
>>
>>I've got about 12-15 hours now on my newly acquired STD FG and one
>>problem I'm noticing is that I don't have very good ventilation in the
>>cabin. The guy who built it used a 1-1/2 inch hose collecting air
>>coming into the oil cooler chamber. Even on 75-80 degree days it gets
>
> pretty stuffy in there.
>
>>It seems like I've seen some builders use a NACA scoop on the side
>>near the front. Is that normally used for ventilation? If so, how
>>big of a scoop would I want to use? Any suggestions/ideas?
>>
>>
>>--
>>Dave Philipsen
>>STDFG
>>N171SP
>>
>>
>>_______________________________________________
>>To change your email address, visit
>>http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>
>>Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>>Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail Check old archives:
>>http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>>
>>
>>_______________________________________________
>>To change your email address, visit
>>http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>
>>Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>>Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail Check old archives:
>>http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>>
>>_______________________________________________
>>To change your email address, visit
>>http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>
>>Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>>Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail Check old archives:
>>http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>>
>>
>>
>
>
> --
> Dave Philipsen
> STDFG
> N171SP
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
More information about the Reflector
mailing list