REFLECTOR: Removing old masking tape.

Scott Derrick scott at tnstaafl.net
Thu Sep 7 08:50:40 CDT 2006


Getting very close to first coat of primer on my repaint job.  Hopefully 
this weekend.

Yesterday I started the onerous job of removing blue masking tape around 
the edge of all my windows to replace it with fine line tape.   I had 
tried to remove it a couple of months ago and found it was very 
difficult. Coming off in little 1/16 inch pieces leaving sticky goo 
behind.  A very slow scraping job with a soft edge, it looked like it 
was going to take a couple of days! :-(

I had heard heat would help. Also heard of lots of different liquids to 
dissolve or help removal like alcohol,. goo-be-gone, peanut butter, etc..

I borrowed my wife's hair dryer, with a solemn promise to return it in 
good condition.  Not covered with epoxy or grease!

It took a long time to heat things up with it but it definitely 
improved  the process.  I made a quick trip to Checkers to get a real 
heat gun, they just happened to be on sale today!  Man what a 
difference.  The tape came off soooooo easy!  Heat a 6 inch section for 
10-15 seconds and slide the plastic scraper right under it, repeat as 
needed.  Of course you have to be careful not to heat things up too much!

In about an hour I had all the windows clear of tape,  I used denatured 
alcohol to wipe off the tapes glue residue.  No rubbing, just wipe it off.

Scott

-- 

-
    What county can preserve its liberties, if its rulers are not warned from time to time that its people preserve the spirit of resistance.

    Thomas Jefferson 



More information about the Reflector mailing list