REFLECTOR: Hardpoints for fasteners

Laurence Coen lwcoen at hotmail.com
Fri Sep 1 14:14:19 CDT 2006


Brass and aluminum are hardier and also non magnetic as is stainless steel. 
The only reason to use nylon is if you need non-conductive.

Larry Coen
N136LC SE/RG Franklin IVO
  ----- Original Message ----- 
  From: John Dibble
  To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
  Sent: Friday, September 01, 2006 1:49 PM
  Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Hardpoints for fasteners


  Nylon can wear out (stripped threads).  I think metal would be better. 
You could still use a nylon bolt.
  John

  Phil Hooper wrote:

    Thanks everyone for your responses!

    I like your idea Jorge, rather than putting a wood screw into just flox, 
although it should work.  Flox plus nylon nuts sounds good.  Just make sure 
the nylon nut is set in and packed well, so it won't turn and that you let 
it cure with screw in place (with Vaseline on the threads).  I suppose you 
can glass over afterwards and then drill it out.   This should work for 
light items.


    Comments from the Collective?



----------------------------------------------------------------------------

    From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On 
Behalf Of Jorge Bujanda

    Sent: Friday, September 01, 2006 9:32 AM
    To: 'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list'
    Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Hardpoints for fasteners
    I am not there yet but now that the topic comes uo.  I have found nylon 
screws and nuts available on the net (vibration resistant/non-magnetic).  I 
am thinking about embedding nylon nuts, per the method below, to attach 
nylon clamps inside the cabin for wiring and support of other light items. 
I have also found nylon ties with a hole for a screw that could be attached 
with the above setup, although I like the first method better.  Anything 
that should concern me about this setup?

    Regards

    Jorge







----------------------------------------------------------------------------

    From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On 
Behalf Of Alex Balic

    Sent: Friday, September 01, 2006 8:17 AM
    To: 'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list'
    Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Hardpoints for fasteners
    I drill out the inside skin/foam with about ½" dia, then I set a stud 
(bolt) in there with flox  could also set a nut in there I suppose- I did 
that to attach my throttle quad to the fuse side- used T-nuts for best grip.



----------------------------------------------------------------------------

    From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On 
Behalf Of Phil Hooper

    Sent: Thursday, August 31, 2006 5:39 PM
    To: 'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list'
    Subject: REFLECTOR: Hardpoints for fasteners
    Dumb question, and the answer is probably in the manual.  For cable 
fastener location for the inside of the fuselage, the factory says to always 
use a hard point.  I guess this means even for one screw, ala the photo 
below.  What's the most effective way to go about this?




----------------------------------------------------------------------------_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit 
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html

------------------------------------------------------------------------------


  _______________________________________________
  To change your email address, visit 
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

  Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
  user:pw   Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
  Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html 
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20060901/fc9c2aa9/attachment.html 
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Type: image/jpeg
Size: 15062 bytes
Desc: not available
Url : http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20060901/fc9c2aa9/attachment-0001.jpe 


More information about the Reflector mailing list