REFLECTOR: Severely rough-running Franklin

Hiroo Umeno humeno at microsoft.com
Mon Oct 30 09:18:44 CST 2006


Will check for this.  I assume I will need to take the valve covers off to check for this.

________________________________
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On Behalf Of Richard Halsall
Sent: Sunday, October 29, 2006 10:16 PM
To: 'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list'
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Severely rough-running Franklin

Hiroo
Check for exhaust valves sticking.
Richard W. Halsall

________________________________
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On Behalf Of Hiroo Umeno
Sent: Sunday, October 29, 2006 9:19 PM
To: reflector at www.tvbf.org
Subject: REFLECTOR: Severely rough-running Franklin

So...

I gave my plane its first oil change.  It has about 10 hours now.  As expected with a newly overhauled engine, there are some very fine dark powder mixed in the oil.  No big chunks or shavings.  So far, so good.

After the oil change, I tried starting the engine.  Using the primer, I tried a few times and just could not get it to run consistently.  It will fire and do an uneven "shakes and rattles" and after a few seconds, it will die back down.  One time, I got it to run for about one minute but the running was rough and really uneven and would not idle as it used to.

Subsequently, it just will not go beyond a few rattles and shakes.  My wife observed a faint white smoke blow out of the exhaust stack when it "rattles" and a few times a darker smoke subsequently.

What should I look into?

Hiroo

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20061030/71c30a55/attachment.html 


More information about the Reflector mailing list