REFLECTOR: O'head plenum drain line

Chuck Jensen cjensen at dts9000.com
Sun Oct 29 08:40:12 CST 2006


Dave,
My overhead drain line works and is well clear of the main gear travel,
but I had a leak in the lower area of that NACA so rain would leak into
the cabin until it got about 1/4" deep in the NACA and would reach the
outlet of the drain tube.  The first time it rained heavily and the
plane set outside, I opened to the door to find about an inch of water
in the bath tub.  Fortunately, plastic carpet dries well and fiberglass
doesn't rust, but know this; a LOT of water flows through that NACA.  A
lot of the roof area constitutes the 'NACA drainage.'  An inch of rain
will probably put 2"-4" of rain water into that NACA, so if you you're
letting it drain into the cabin, I hope you have an equally big outlet
drain.
 
I'm looking at putting a temporary aluminum plate over the overhead NACA
and using silastic to put it in place.  The front vents do a great job
of ventilating the cabin and I don't carry rear passengers that often
and the cold it lets in during the winter (through the plastic eyeballs)
is most unwelcome.  The only purpose the overhead plenum has served so
far is being a good wire run to the overhead LED cabin light I put in.
All things being the same, it wouldn't hurt my feelings if the overhead
NACA and plenum weren't even there!

Chuck Jensen 
  
-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of Terry Miles
Sent: Saturday, October 28, 2006 8:46 PM
To: 'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list'
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: O'head plenum drain line


Hi Dave,
Thanks for the advice.  Sorry it happened to you.  I haven't run my
drain line yet, leaving it for last "finish" kind of stuff in the aft
cabin.  I have the XL-5 which is kind of a stationwagon set up back
there, I have to fab some kind of back deck fit even with the back seat
backs once they are in the folded position.  I consider myself duely
warned on o'head drains.  
 
Thanks
Terry

	-----Original Message-----
	From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org
[mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On Behalf Of davedent at comcast.net
	Sent: Saturday, October 28, 2006 1:22 PM
	To: reflector at tvbf.org
	Subject: REFLECTOR: Hangar talk
	
	
	By the way I got my broken leg XL back up into the air again
yesterday.  It's been down since a bad trip home from OSH.   But all is
well again.  Boy it felt good to get it up.  
	 
	By the way, all those that haven't checked yet, make sure you
check the main pivot bolts on your RG aircraft that they are grade eight
bolts.  If you have a kit prier to 1999 they are grade five and should
be changed.  The new plans in the site shows that they are grade eight.
So if you are working off the paper drawgs they are grade five.  
	 
	Also if you have the (V) shape air duct in the top of your cabin
with the water drain line coming out the back make sure it doesn't come
close to your retract system during up and down travel.  Mine did and
the linkage caught on it and hung up the right gear leg on landing and
slammed it back up in the well .  I then became a passenger out into the
tall grass, two down one up.   Just for a small peace of plastic has
cost me a great deal of money and time.  It's the little things that can
bite you.  I have eliminated mine completely now.  Let it drain into the
bottom of the plane and drain out.  No big deal.  
	 
	Don't wait to check, do it now before your next flight.  This
should be a mandatory inspection on all RG Velocity aircraft.  Both
items, grade eight bolt and water drain line. NOW
	Dave
	 
	 
	 
	 

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20061029/6ceebcb5/attachment-0001.html 


More information about the Reflector mailing list