REFLECTOR: Gurney flap

Pat Shea xl340hp at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 16 16:09:49 CDT 2006


Gordon,

James Redmond is a Berkut builder/flyer. I know James
and he knows his stuff. Below is a link to his website
and use of a gurney flap on his rudders. Click on #7 -
Rudders Un-porting At High Speed.

http://www.berkut13.com/berkut50.htm#Rudders%20Un-porting%20at%20High%20Speed

Pat

--- cgputney at peoplepc.com wrote:

> Thanks Ron.   I thought someone used a gurney flap
> to increase effective "toe in" on rudders to
> preclude instabilities in handling.   Years ago,
> when I first measured between rudder LE's and TE's
> to learn "toe in" Duane said just do not tolerate
> zero toe in.  Mine is about 1/4".   Recent threads
> have readdressed this issue, and now I hear one inch
> is recommended.   Putting the flap on the outside of
> the rudder TE makes sense to me, however, I hope
> someone has tried it and can recommend flap span.  
> Gordon.


__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Tired of spam?  Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around 
http://mail.yahoo.com 


More information about the Reflector mailing list