REFLECTOR: barn door speed brake
Dave Philipsen
velocity at davebiz.com
Mon Oct 9 19:49:30 CDT 2006
The CS prop will help quite a bit in slowing you down. From my
experience with a CS prop, you could possibly do without the speed
brake. But, if you really want to be able to do a nice steep approach,
build the speed brake. I have an FG with CS prop and one time ATC asked
me if I could make short approach ahead of a regional jet that was
coming in. I was just about abeam with the approach numbers at patter
altitude. I pushed the prop all the way in, pulled the throttle all the
way back, deployed both rudders, extended the speed brake, and dove for
the runway. It dropped like a rock and I made it in and landed with no
problem.
Steve Goldman wrote:
> Terry Miles wrote:
>
>> For anyone who has the XL-RG-5 and is considering a speed brake, know
>> that all the "stuff" that has to go into the drop-down keel on the dash
>> 5 version does not allow a normal install of the speedbrake mechanism.
>>
>
> So this is a perfect chance to ask my question. I've been wondering about
> a speed brake on my RG XL-5. I'm not sure I really need one since I don't
> intend to have a fixed pitch prop but that isn't my real concern. I'm wondering
> if there are XL-5's with speed brakes flying? The reason I ask is that with
> the cut-down keel in an XL-5 it seems like the keel isn't as stiff as the
> normal keel and with the speed brake being cut into the bottom of the
> fuselage in a nearby location that there could be concern about the fuselage
> flexing during landing. I am a known worrier though...
>
>
>
--
Dave Philipsen
STDFG
N171SP
More information about the Reflector
mailing list