REFLECTOR: painting fuselage

michalk michalk at awpi.com
Mon Oct 9 09:13:12 CDT 2006


I understand.
My original post was referring to dust from sanding.  I did not realize 
you were talking about dried overspray.

Thanks.

At the EAA meeting last night, the presenter was talking about sanding a 
carbon fiber Lancair.  One of the old farts began talking about how best 
to sand it, saying that it was not good to have your back towards the 
wind, with the dust in front of you, and that the dust should not be 
allowed to settle on the plane.  I may have mis-interpreted that as 
sanding, which I thought was very strange.  Never heard of such a thing 
being a problem.  They were probably talking about painting.

Terry Miles wrote:
> Brian,
> 
> I agree w/ Kurt on this too about sanding out.  You can make "best
> efforts" at lots of airflow in your own home-made booth, and then deal
> with settled dust on the finish with 1000 to 1500 grit wet sand paper
> and then polish it w/ an orbital sander.  The dust that settles, or what
> is often (and hopefully) only minor orange peel look can be made to
> disappear.  I don't want to have to work real hard at this "cut and
> buff" step, so I am doing all I can to minimize it.  We will likely post
> sand (called cutting) and then polish on the very visible surfaces and
> leave the belly and other less noticeable places as is.
> 
> I also have to say that unless someone shows you these blemish issues
> which often only show up under indoor lights, you would probably not
> realize the step down difs between a top notch $$$$ job from very good
> to average to pretty crumby.  On a sunny ramp it is very hard to
> tell--especially with white.  I was at a EAA meeting in a guy's hangar
> down here and he was boasting about his new paint job--done somewhere in
> Houston.  
> 
> It was new and clean and shiney all right, but the surface contamination
> was dreadful.  Sometimes ignorance is bliss.  
> 
> Terry
> 
> -----Original Message-----
> From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
> Behalf Of Brian Michalk
> Sent: Friday, October 06, 2006 12:53 AM
> To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: painting fuselage
> 
> 
> 
> 
>>I hired a professional auto painter to do my Velocity. He showed me 
>>many
>>tricks with the sanding. And he stressed the importance of lots of 
>>airflow to prevent paint dust from settling back on the plane.
>>  
> 
> Why is it important to keep the dust off the plane?
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> 
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
> 
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> 
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html



More information about the Reflector mailing list