REFLECTOR: Flight - Natural High

Chuck Jensen cjensen at dts9000.com
Tue Oct 3 10:08:21 CDT 2006


Al,
 
There is no need for congratulations.  The self-satisfaction of
accomplishment is reward in itself and is merely confirmed by
congratulations from others who acknowledge the perseverance and skill
required to attain this achievement.  But, just in case...well done.
 
I do have one question--what is the agl base of Cloud Nine.
 
Chuck Jensen 
  

	-----Original Message-----
	From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org
[mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On Behalf Of Al Gietzen
	Sent: Tuesday, October 03, 2006 12:34 AM
	To: reflector
	Subject: REFLECTOR: Flight - Natural High
	
	

	A couple of visions, and the associated emotion, are still with
me.  The test pilot had taken off and climbed out to the NE and
disappeared into the distance below some high scattered clouds.  We knew
he was out there, doing his "work", and occasionally we'd hear the
distant distinctive sound of the 3-rotor engine, and we'd hear the
occasional call to Center on our hand held radio.  After about 35
minutes we heard his call to the tower, and shortly after could see the
speck of the plane miles to the east.  We also heard his request for
straight in over the runway, with a break to left downwind over
mid-field.  And soon, there it was - in a hard left bank overhead, that
distinctive beautiful silhouette against the background of high broken
clouds.  Smooth and fast - MY airplane; my sweat and effort and anxiety.
What a sight - what a sound!! That moment of exhilaration I'll remember,
and know one of the reasons why we do this.

	 

	Later I climbed in the right seat for a flight to focus on
engine parameters.  I did that through most of the climb-out, and for
awhile as we cruised at 3500' agl.  But then I started to enjoy the
view, and the sensation of speed - even at that altitude, as we banked
over the hills and valleys. I took the stick to get a feel for the
control response.  And there I was; flying my plane, with the very kool
EFIS displays, cruising at 200 mph, and enjoying the beautiful view.
Definitely high; a natural high.

	 

	Ok, there are still some problems to solve and things to adjust,
but I'll think about that tomorrow.

	 

	Keep building; and it will come.

	 

	Al

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20061003/3c9c52ed/attachment.html 


More information about the Reflector mailing list