REFLECTOR: Reflector Digest, Vol 30, Issue 49

Chuck Harbert c.harbert at comcast.net
Mon Nov 20 11:35:15 CST 2006


I pick up my kit next week ( XLRG fastbuild ) ......  I was wondering what
is the best way to insure it during transportation and during the building
process??

Thanks


Len Baxter
------------------

Len, in my previous life I was in the insurance business, but not aviation 
insurance. I was with Avemco when I built my plane which was a hull only 
coverage (not in motion rider-as I recall), but then they didn't want to 
insure it when it was ready to fly (tough reqirements plus high premium). I 
am now with the EAA program (AIG Insurance Co.) thru Falcon Insurance Agency 
(830-257-1000). I'd suggest you give them a call and tell them your 
situation. It's highly likely that they will have a policy to cover it 
during construction and while being shipped. It's usually best to have the 
same insurance company during construction and then when you fly, since they 
have already earned some premium and you're a policyholder.

Velocity may know the best way to get transit insurance since they ship so 
many. There are ICC limits covering the value (per lb) unless you pay for 
the higher value assuming your using a common carrier. If you're using a 
private carrier, you need to read the bill-of-lading carefully (especially 
release type), but they may be able to get you the coverage.

I'd call Scott first to see what he says, then Falcon to get a quote for 
what you need.

Chuck H





More information about the Reflector mailing list