REFLECTOR: Door hinges
Tony Babb
tonybabb at alejandra.net
Tue Nov 7 10:36:27 CST 2006
I have the Std FG. It is a Fast Build Fuselage and the door hinges are in a
pocket, the top skin of the fuselage is still there and I scooped out the
foam between top and bottom. I don't remember much about it, it was a long
time ago - I'm a slooow builder. I think this was done as part of the fast
build. I just had to drill holes in the skin and the hinges. The door opens
fine.
Tony
SEFG 62% done, 78% to go.
www.alejandra.net/velocity
-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of Andrew Ellzey
Sent: Monday, November 06, 2006 3:09 PM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Door hinges
I finished my pilots side door hinge install this weekend and found that It
was almost impossible to install the hinges flush. I started flush and had
to raise the hinges slightly above the top fuselage to give the door and
roof enough clearance to let the door open. The door skin and roof skin area
will hit without giving enough gap to allow the hinge to open. I would say
that the bulge of the hinge is maybe a 1/32 inch above the roof skin.
Andy
----- Original Message -----
From: Rene <mailto:dugasd at bellsouth.net> Dugas
To: 'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders <mailto:reflector at tvbf.org>
list'
Sent: Monday, November 06, 2006 4:49 PM
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Door hinges
Remember that the nitrogen cylinder will likely push up anyway making the
door lift. Very disappointing after days of sanding- but likely outcome.
As the hinge wears the door lifts more.
Rene'
-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of Andrew Ellzey
Sent: Friday, November 03, 2006 1:49 PM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Door hinges
That's what I wanted to do with mine also, but wanted to make sure that the
door would still open correctly before I spent all the time to make them
flush. What about water intrusion through the hinges?
Andy
----- Original Message -----
From: Hiroo <mailto:humeno at microsoft.com> Umeno
To: Velocity <mailto:reflector at tvbf.org> Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Sent: Friday, November 03, 2006 11:00 AM
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Door hinges
On my aircraft, the top of the hinge is flush with the fuselage skin.
Looking tangentially to the curvature of the fuselage, you will not see the
hinge tops at all.
Hiroo
_____
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of Andrew Ellzey
Sent: Friday, November 03, 2006 7:10 AM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: REFLECTOR: Door hinges
Need some feed back on how flush your door hinges are to the top of the
fuselage. The manual doesn't say how much or how little of the hinges should
be sticking up in the slip stream. If I follow the manual and attach my
hinges to the door first and don't add or remove any material to the
thickness of the door structure at the hinge, I would have about 1/8 inch of
the hinge above the door and top of the fuselage. Is this normal? The manual
makes one statement like you should have from the center of the hinge pin
above the door. Does everyone else have 1/2 of the hinge above the fuselage,
or am I reading this wrong? I also would like to know how you are supposed
to keep water from coming through the hinge when it rains. I intend to
construct a pocket under my hinges to channel any water out to the door seal
area to flow any water out around the door seal. Is this what anyone else
has done.
Andy Ellzey
_____
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
_____
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20061107/b492bd41/attachment.htm
More information about the Reflector
mailing list