REFLECTOR: Door hinges

Keith Hallsten KeithHallsten at quiknet.com
Fri Nov 3 19:30:09 CST 2006


Andy,

 

I let the top of the aluminum hinge protrude above the finished surface.
The hinge pin is entirely below the surface.  I was afraid I would get
binding in the little gap between the door and the top of the fuselage
between the hinges if I pushed the hinges down too far.  It complicated
filling and sanding the fuselage in the hinge area, though.

 

There is a layup on the roof of the fuselage that covers the hinges, so
water intrusion shouldn't be any more of an issue at the hinges than
anywhere else around the doors.

 

Regards,

 

Keith Hallsten

  

 

  _____  

From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of Andrew Ellzey
Sent: Friday, November 03, 2006 11:49 AM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Door hinges

 

That's what I wanted to do with mine also, but wanted to make sure that the
door would still open correctly before I spent all the time to make them
flush. What about water intrusion through the hinges?

 

Andy

----- Original Message ----- 

From: Hiroo Umeno <mailto:humeno at microsoft.com>  

To: Velocity Aircraft <mailto:reflector at tvbf.org>  Owners and Builders list 

Sent: Friday, November 03, 2006 11:00 AM

Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Door hinges

 

On my aircraft, the top of the hinge is flush with the fuselage skin.
Looking tangentially to the curvature of the fuselage, you will not see the
hinge tops at all.

 

Hiroo

 


  _____  


From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of Andrew Ellzey
Sent: Friday, November 03, 2006 7:10 AM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: REFLECTOR: Door hinges

 

Need some feed back on how flush your door hinges are to the top of the
fuselage. The manual doesn't say how much or how little of the hinges should
be sticking up in the slip stream. If I follow the manual and attach my
hinges to the door first and don't add or remove any material to the
thickness of the door structure at the hinge, I would have about 1/8 inch of
the hinge above the door and top of the fuselage. Is this normal? The manual
makes one statement like you should have from the center of the hinge pin
above the door. Does everyone else have 1/2 of the hinge above the fuselage,
or am I reading this wrong? I also would like to know how you are supposed
to keep water from coming through the hinge when it rains. I intend to
construct a pocket under my hinges to channel any water out to the door seal
area to flow any water out around the door seal. Is this what anyone else
has done.

 

Andy Ellzey


  _____  


_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20061103/7e683dd0/attachment.html 


More information about the Reflector mailing list