REFLECTOR: Removing Bushings

Ron Brown romott at roadrunner.com
Fri Nov 3 16:19:39 CST 2006


Alex - can you tell me what wattage iron you used?  I would guess my little pencil iron won't get the job done (;-})  Sounds like a great method - better than having a flame that could accidentally melt something.  

Scott - thanks for you feedback too!  It was the one I remembered but I think I'll try the iron.  I've already been looking at our electricity powered travel hot water heater loop.

THANKS!
Ronnie
  ----- Original Message ----- 
  From: Alex 
  To: 'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list' 
  Sent: Friday, November 03, 2006 11:30 AM
  Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Removing Bushings


  I had to do the same thing- I just used an electric soldering iron- just set it into the bushing- took about 5 minutes to heat it up enough to soften the epoxy - it transferred heat directly- worked great.



  Alex




------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On Behalf Of Scott Derrick
  Sent: Friday, November 03, 2006 9:37 AM
  To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
  Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Removing Bushings



  Ron,

  I bolted a long bolt(hardware grade)  onto the bushing then heated the end of the bolt with a propane torch which transfered the heat to the bushing.  The bolt was about 6 inches long.  I used two nuts on the threaded end of the bolt to clamp to the bushing with the head of the bolt out in the air.   I kept heat on the bolt and continually trying to turn the bolt with a wrench until the bushing broke free.  The bolt will get red hot!  I cut out some tin with a hole in it for the bolt to protrude through to protect the surrounding  structure, and stuff from the torch flame.  

  Scott

  Ron Brown wrote: 

  Scott Derrick:



  I recall you said you had to remove your nose wheel strut pivot bushings a while back.  How did you heat the bushings without damaging the surrounding structure.  



  I need to reseat my bushings as the new nose strut is a bit different than my original strut (which I bent badly during a hard landing - don't get too slow!!!!!!!)  My nose fork is not centered in the guides when retracted.



  Ronnie Brown

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 _______________________________________________To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/galleryuser:pw 


--  -    Liberty means responsibility. That is why most men dread it.     George Bernard Shaw, Liberty 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------


  _______________________________________________
  To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

  Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
  user:pw   Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
  Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20061103/1c8cec82/attachment.html 


More information about the Reflector mailing list