REFLECTOR: Runway Rash

John Dibble aminetech at bluefrog.com
Tue May 16 12:46:24 CDT 2006


Interesting.  Which side of the bevel washer faces the nylon?  Could I simply add the
nylon washer to the current set and keep any spring action?

John

Laurence Coen wrote:

> John,
>
> >From your description, it sounds like your nose gear break-out force is very
> high.  I may have a solution for you.  I've held my tongue up till now
> because my device was untested.  Yesterday I had the opportunity to do some
> high speed taxi tests and experienced none of the difficulties that you
> described.  At 70 Kn I had no problem holding the nose wheel on the center
> stripe with the tiniest rudder inputs I could manage.  My standard elite RG
> is very easy to maneuver at all speeds.
>
> Let me describe my "Oreo" friction damper.  I have two bevel washers (the
> cracker part)  with a nylon washer making up the creamy filling.  I made the
> nylon washer from 1/8" flat stock using a couple of hole saws.   The science
> behind the idea is that nylon is self lubricating so there is no grease to
> squeeze out or attract dirt.  My experience to date with ground handling has
> gone slicker than snot on a brass doorknob.
>
> Larry Coen
> N136LC
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "John Dibble" <aminetech at bluefrog.com>
> To: "Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list" <reflector at tvbf.org>
> Sent: Monday, May 15, 2006 10:01 AM
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Runway Rash
>
> > Actually it was on TO.  I was fighting the &(*&^ friction steering trying
> > to keep a straight line and had a lot of rudder and alerion in the same
> > direction at rotation.  I've really got to figure out a better way to
> > control shimmy.
> > Unfortunately the crowd's attention was diverted by a (presumably drunk)
> > person in the parking lot.  A policeman was trying to talk him out of
> > the car and the next thing I heard was squeeling tires as the car jumped a
> > curb and landed in a ditch.  Just another routine day in MS.   lol
> > John
> >
> > Scott Derrick wrote:
> >
> >> That must have been some landing!  Was there a crowd to nearby to signal
> >> their appreciation? :-)
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > To change your email address, visit
> > http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> >
> > Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> > user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> > Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> > Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
> >
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html



More information about the Reflector mailing list