REFLECTOR: Gear leg stress

Gilles Gratton gillesgratton45 at sympatico.ca
Thu May 11 14:06:38 CDT 2006


I have a fixed gear and I know that the gears do spread out when the
plane is backed up or turned tightly prior to being parked.  So it is
part of my check list to ''set the gear'' and I do it every time I park
the plane.  It consists in lifting a wing until one wheel is  off the
ground and you can see how much stress this takes off the gear.  Not
good if you have a strained back .
          I am not sure if one would get permanent sagging of the gear
if parked for a long period, maybe they were designed to take that
''parking stress''.   
 
Gilles
 
-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of Al Gietzen
Sent: 11 mai 2006 13:03
To: reflector
Subject: REFLECTOR: Gear leg stress
 
In my current hangar arrangement, my plane gets backed into the hangar.
Because of the slight 'toe-in' of the wheels, it ends up with the main
track width spread a few inches when parked.  I'm concerned that
spending the bulk of its time in that condition, it may result in some
permanent set in the legs.  Anyone have any experience with this?  If
its an issue, I'll take measures to alleviate it.
 
Thanks,
 
Al (strained back keeping me from the airport - first flight postponed)
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20060511/5c6fc70e/attachment.htm


More information about the Reflector mailing list