REFLECTOR: RE: Builder Assistance Center
Mark Riley
anriley at comcast.net
Mon May 8 19:49:00 CDT 2006
I haven't seen any postings on the Velocity builder assistance center and,
having just spent 10 days there, I thought I'd describe my experience there
for the benefit of anyone considering it.
I am a second time builder, having previously built an SE RG. However, that
was almost 10 years ago. I now have 2 kids, more responsibilities and less
time. I decided to try to shorten my build time by doing an initial period
of hard and fast building at Velocity.
I arrived on April 27 to find my fast build XL5 RG fuselage waiting for me
in the completion center. After signing some forms with Scott Baker, I dove
in. The center had 4 other builders in various stages of construction. Tools
and materials were at hand for each work station and, most importantly,
Scott Swing was available to answer questions and help out. He can transform
the average half day task into a 45 minute event. We also had the benefit of
looking at other completed and partially completed Velocities for reference.
Each builder is given a key and 24 hour access to the facility. We tended to
start between 7-8am and continue until 10 pm each day. Bob Bulls has only
been there since February and has all but completed his airframe! In my 10
days I managed to install the hydraulic cylinders, keel, nose gear hardware,
doors, gas struts, control linkages, NACA ducts, oil cooler duct, rudder
pedal assembly, hydraulic pump mount,and all the reinforcing layups on the
canard bulkhead. I also installed the canard and temporarily installed and
indexed the main spar for easy installation after shipping the kit home.
As I said, I am a second time builder. The above progress reflects about the
first 18 months spent on my first project. I highly recommend the builder
assistance center to anyone starting a first or even second kit. I will try
to post pictures of the plane on the Frappr site. I hope to have the kit
completed by next summer.
-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of reflector-request at tvbf.org
Sent: Saturday, May 06, 2006 1:00 PM
To: reflector at tvbf.org
Subject: Reflector Digest, Vol 24, Issue 14
Send Reflector mailing list submissions to
reflector at tvbf.org
To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
reflector-request at tvbf.org
You can reach the person managing the list at
reflector-owner at tvbf.org
When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
than "Re: Contents of Reflector digest..."
Today's Topics:
1. Re: Vacume Pump (MikeWatsonSpg at cs.com)
2. Re: SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE/lNSPECTIONS (Ron Brown)
3. Symposium (Larry Parham)
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Message: 1
Date: Fri, 5 May 2006 18:27:24 EDT
From: MikeWatsonSpg at cs.com
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Vacume Pump
To: reflector at tvbf.org
Message-ID: <361.3ae05c7.318d2b4c at cs.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
Tec,
That's a wet pump and at this stage, I'm not in the mood to
start running new oil lines with more connections to leak.
This new Sigma-Tek piston pump is really well built and
seems bullet proof.
Mike W.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL:
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20060505/ed5db054/
attachment.html
------------------------------
Message: 2
Date: Fri, 5 May 2006 21:46:43 -0400
From: "Ron Brown" <romott at adelphia.net>
Subject: REFLECTOR: Re: SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE/lNSPECTIONS
To: "Jorge Bujanda" <jbujanda at dslextreme.com>
Cc: reflector at tvbf.org
Message-ID: <001e01c670ae$ede84340$6a19a445 at romott>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
No problem at all. After all, some of it is from the Velocity manual!
There are several good items on my web site:
http://home.sprintmail.com/~romott/page10.html
Toward the bottom are:
Ground Testing and Final Inspection
Flight Testing
Weight and Balance an Excel 2000 Spreadsheet for performing the Initial
Weight and Balance as well as a Tool for Calculating Flying WT and BAL.
Operating Manual - The factory manual revised to reflect N713MR
Check Lists for N713MR
Flight Testing Manual - Collections from EAA, FAA, Falco and Velocity Inc.
Maintenance Checklists
Equipment List and Links to Suppliers
First Flight - March 4, 2003
Project Summary
Oh, and the sound is my 173 Elite doing a fly by!
See you in Dallas?
Ronnie
----- Original Message -----
From: Jorge Bujanda
To: Ron Brown
Sent: Friday, May 05, 2006 5:58 PM
Subject: SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE/lNSPECTIONS
Ron,
This is really good. I know my kit is FG but do you authorize me to post
it on my website? Let me know.
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/jbujanda/
Regards,
Jorge
Ron Brown wrote:
Here's one I put together from the Velocity manual, my old 172, and
other various input.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL:
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20060505/e63a1bee/
attachment-0001.html
------------------------------
Message: 3
Date: Sat, 6 May 2006 09:53:10 -0500
From: "Larry Parham" <larry062851 at hotmail.com>
Subject: REFLECTOR: Symposium
To: <reflector at tvbf.org>
Message-ID: <BAY116-DAV99C9A68E7FF556A9E6A7EB3AA0 at phx.gbl>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
This web site has been invalualble to me, as I am not a builder, but I have
bought a Velocity 173 RGE Franklin Catto and I would like to donate some
prizes (or a couple of hundred dollars in COOL CARDS from RadioShack) to the
symposium. I own a private RadioShack in Oklahoma and will be attending the
symposium. thanks for all the help Larry Parham
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL:
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20060506/d91bc783/
attachment-0001.htm
------------------------------
_______________________________________________
Visit the gallery! tvbf:jamaicangoose
End of Reflector Digest, Vol 24, Issue 14
*****************************************
More information about the Reflector
mailing list