REFLECTOR: New Collection and Control Hardware

Joe Ewen jewen at comporium.net
Tue May 2 07:27:33 CDT 2006


Sounds like a nice system.  I too am creating my own acquisition and control 
system.  I am curious about what solid state compass and solid state gyro 
you are using.
Thanks,
Joe



----- Original Message ----- 
From: "michalk" <michalk at awpi.com>
To: "Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list" <reflector at tvbf.org>
Sent: Thursday, April 27, 2006 12:27 PM
Subject: REFLECTOR: New Collection and Control Hardware


> There's been no really cool information lately on the Reflector so I 
> thought I'd put up a status report on my stuff.
>
> As some of you know, I am rolling my own acquisition and control system. 
> The point behind the system is that everything is able to communicate with 
> everything else.
>
> At the center of all of this is a Linux machine with a lot of serial 
> connectors to connect to legacy devices that are not able to talk on the 
> communication bus.  These are things like the NAV/COMM radios, solid state 
> compass and solid state gyro.  The important one is an SMBUS to RS232 
> bridge.
>
> On the SMBUS, I designed several modules: backup EFI, thermocouple 
> amplifier and engine monitor.  I integrated power and signal into a 
> twisted pair ribbon cable, which crimps on RJ45 connectors.  Very simple. 
> One click and you get power and data for each module.
>
> The bridge module is talking passing data and commands between the SMBUS 
> and the Linux machine.  The thermocouple amplifier board which is the 
> easiest works well on the bench.  The acquisition works and it is 
> outfitted with six EGT, six CHT and one spare thermocouple amplifier. The 
> onboard CPU, an 8051 derivative also has a temperature sensor which it 
> supports in its command set.
>
> The engine monitor module communicates, but needs testing to make sure all 
> of the circuits are correct.  This module collects two oil pressures 
> (across oil filter), MAP, two intake manifold temps (across turbo), fuel 
> flow to pressure regulator, exhaust back pressure, and three fuel 
> pressures(across two fuel filters).
>
> The EFI module (third revision now) needs to be populated, but is the most 
> complex of all of them.  It reports RPM, MAP and a host of other 
> information, about 50 parameters total about the health of the backup EFI 
> system.  I am also still working on this firmware.
>
> The airplane group of guys here came up with an electric prop controller 
> that needs testing for the IVO that we plan on getting on the SMBUS as 
> well.  In addition, I developed schematics for an autopilot, power 
> monitor, angle of attack sensor and throttle/turbo control.
>
> Since this is all network interfaced, the panel display can be of almost 
> any design from a simple LED based like the prop controller to an MFD. The 
> group already has the panel mount prop display that will include takeoff 
> and cruise modes, all with a simple interface.
>
> Before my first flight, the backup EFI system has to be functional, so 
> that's where all of my effort is at this time.
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit 
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
> 




More information about the Reflector mailing list