REFLECTOR: Are engine/oil heaters worth it?

Scott Derrick scott at tnstaafl.net
Thu Mar 9 09:23:58 CST 2006


when it gets below 5f I even heat the tow motor's motor on the T210 I fly..

Ron Brown wrote:
> And speaking of hair dryers, that works good too.  Small enough to 
> slip into the cowl opening of a standard, slide it under the engine.  
> I taped mine down to a sheet of foam to keep from cooking the bottom 
> of the cowl.  I have used a blanket to close off the cowl exits and 
> gotten the oil temp over 60 degrees in 30 minutes.
>
> Ronnie
>
>
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Andy Millin" <amillin at sbcglobal.net>
> To: "'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list'" <reflector at tvbf.org>
> Sent: Thursday, March 09, 2006 8:19 AM
> Subject: RE: REFLECTOR: Are engine/oil heaters worth it?
>
>
>> An inexpensive electric heater that is shaped about like a shoe box.
>> Really, just a very big hair dryer only the fan is larger and turns 
>> slower.
>> You can find them at Wal-Mart for about $20.
>>
>> Andy
>>
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
>> Behalf Of Terry Miles
>> Sent: Wednesday, March 08, 2006 10:02 PM
>> To: 'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list'
>> Subject: RE: REFLECTOR: Are engine/oil heaters worth it?
>>
>>
>> Thanks everyone.  What is a milk box heater?
>> Terry
>>
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
>> Behalf Of Scott Derrick
>> Sent: Wednesday, March 08, 2006 6:09 PM
>> To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
>> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Are engine/oil heaters worth it?
>>
>>
>> I heat my plane when the temps fall below a 20-30f range.
>>
>> I use two cheapo electric milk box heaters. One hangs on the prop and
>> blows hot air onto the engine from the cowl exhaust port. I cover the
>> cowl with a insulated blanket to help keep the heat in. The other goes
>> in the cabin. I think its just as important to heat the gyros, switches
>> and levers, I also like to be warm when I taxi and take off. My wife
>> really likes it. I heat the inside up to 85-90 degrees. The engine
>> usually shows about 60 degrees if the outside is down to 0.
>>
>> two $20 heaters and an old blanket is a cheap way to go and works like a
>>
>> charm.
>>
>> Scott
>>
>> Chuck Jensen wrote:
>>>
>>> Aviation Consumers, engine builds, et al, seem to be fairly consistent
>>> in the recommendation that preheat between 20F and 35F is recommended
>>> and required below 20F if you like to fly to the full TBO. The numbers
>>
>>> vary slightly from source to source, but as said, they are consistent
>>> in recommending it. Interestingly, continuous heat may not be best.
>>> The warmth in the oil will certainly drive off any moisture present,
>>> but the cold engine above recondenses it to form water droplets that
>>> fall down and the process starts all over again.your own miniature
>>> rain forest. Hard to know if that actually occurs, but seems
>>> plausible. In sum, a heater seems superfluous for Orlando,
>>> occasionally useful for Chattanooga and essential for Chicago.unless
>>> the big bucks for a heated hangar are no problem.
>>>
>>> Chuck Jensen
>>>
>>> -----Original Message-----
>>> *From:* reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org]
>>> *On Behalf Of *Terry Miles
>>> *Sent:* Wednesday, March 08, 2006 12:33 PM
>>> *To:* 'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list'
>>> *Subject:* REFLECTOR: Are engine/oil heaters worth it?
>>>
>>> Dear Anybody,
>>>
>>>     http://www.reiffpreheat.com/
>>>
>>>     The above is a engine heater company that shows up each year at
>>>     Osh. I am thinking that oil viscosity alone is sufficient to
>>>     handle startup and idle RPM to temps down to zero degrees F
>>>     without using these things...assumming I make sure I have good oil
>>>     temp at takeoff. They make a ring-type heater that wraps around
>>>     each cyl. Or a cheaper version that is just a big spot heater
>>>     attached to the underside of the oil sump.
>>>
>>>     Are these good ideas? I am trying to finish up my wiring plan and
>>>     need to decide on some of this stuff now if I can.
>>>
>>>     Thanks,
>>>
>>>     Terry
>>>
>>>     Illinois/Penn
>>>
>>>     IO540K
>>>
>>> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>>> -- 
>>>
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> To change your email address, visit
>>> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>>
>>> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>>> Check old archives:
>>> http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>> _______________________________________________
>> To change your email address, visit
>> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>
>> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>> _______________________________________________
>> To change your email address, visit
>> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>
>> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> To change your email address, visit 
>> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>
>> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html 
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit 
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
>
>


More information about the Reflector mailing list