REFLECTOR: Aluminum Tubing for Brakes

Al Gietzen ALVentures at cox.net
Wed Mar 8 09:03:15 CST 2006


I'm not a mechanic and really don't know how much vibration one really 

gets in the leg, but I feel it natural to ask whether the additional 

brass tube fitting connecting the aluminum and the nylaflow may be 

affected by the vibration provoked by the wheel during landing ... 

Wouldn't it be also a possibility to use aluminum tubing all the way on 

the leg and put the brass fitting closer to the fuselage?  Is it a matter 

of price?  I mean, is this aluminum tubing expensive?  BTW, where can we 

get aluminum tubing from to replace the nylaflow?

 

Gregori;

 

Running the aluminum all the way up the leg may not be such a good idea.
The legs are subject to some flexing, which would stress the aluminum
tubing, possibly leading to fatigue failure.

 

Although I chose the same approach as Larry in going to aluminum tube to the
gear bulkhead, and SS braided aeroquip down the legs, I later found that
there are EZ drivers around here who have had the Nylaflow lines for 18
years without a problem.  My understanding is that it can become embrittled
with age if exposed to heat and/or sunlight; otherwise it should be good for
the life of the airplane.  So either eliminate that exposure, or design to
replace (permanently with other material, or every 5 years or so with new
nylaflow) where there is such exposure.

 

My 2 cents worth,

 

Al

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20060308/d3cc5632/attachment.html


More information about the Reflector mailing list