REFLECTOR: brake lines
Ron Brown
romott at adelphia.net
Tue Mar 7 19:16:24 CST 2006
No, not a safety issue to run the nyloflow in the duct with the oil lines.
I ran mine down the keel because on my RG that is where the lines needed to
end up at the back where they connect to the pivoting main gear legs. The
picture you're referring to is actually an RG too. The lines run through a
piece of larger nylon tubing from the left side duct to the center of the
gear bulkhead.
However, I did run about 8" of aluminum line at the bottom of the gear legs
to minimize the chance of overheating the nyloflow from the heat of the
calipers. This IS a safety issue. I personally know of two planes (not
Velocities) that lost brakes on initial taxi testing due to nyloflow
overheating and blowing out. RV's have had the same problem.
Ronnie
----- Original Message -----
From: "Grigore Rosu" <grosu at cs.uiuc.edu>
To: "'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list'" <reflector at tvbf.org>
Sent: Tuesday, March 07, 2006 6:51 PM
Subject: RE: REFLECTOR: brake lines
> Kevin,
>
> Yes, I am sure. I initially had a similar concern, so I sent a message to
> the factory. Scott Swing answered and said that both the brake lines and
> the rudder cable use the same nylaflow; the kit came with 55 feet of
> nylaflow, I guess enough for both the rudder and the brake lines.
>
> Ron and others, is there a real safety issue with running the nylaflow
> brake
> lines with hot oil through the airducts? I'm a beginner in building and
> I'd
> prefer to just follow the manual confidently, without having to worry
> about
> things being unsafe ...
>
> Yes Michalk (sorry, I do not know your first name), I'm slowly learning
> how
> to read between the lines. But still, I'd prefer not to deviate from the
> manual, because I want to fly it soon.
>
> Thanks,
> Grigore
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
> Behalf Of Velocity_AZ
> Sent: Tuesday, March 07, 2006 4:37 PM
> To: 'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list'
> Subject: RE: REFLECTOR: brake lines
>
> Are you sure you are not seeing the nylaflow tubing that houses the rudder
> cable?
>
> Kevin
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
> Behalf Of Grigore Rosu
> Sent: Tuesday, March 07, 2006 3:25 PM
> To: 'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list'
> Subject: REFLECTOR: brake lines
>
> I just finished installing the master cylinders in my SEFG and now I'd
> like
> to install the nylaflow brake lines. The manual says that I should drive
> them through the pilot airduct, all the way down till right before the
> firewall, then have each brake line go to its corresponding leg. I
> understand the big picture, but there are all those details left that are
> not mentioned in the manual, so I'd like to kindly ask those of you who
> are
> more advanced with their projects for a few more details, even some
> pictures, if possible.
>
> First of all, I found the following picture on Velocity's website:
> http://www.velocityaircraft.com/photos/Fuselage/pages/MG-CABLE-AND-BRAKELINE
> 0088.html
> In this picture, the brake lines seem to leave the airduct way before the
> firewall and are driven through some sort of a tube to the middle of the
> firewall. This is different from what they said in the manual ...
>
> If I follow the manual, should I simply drill a larger hole in the airduct
> right before the firewall? Where exactly, in the upper or in the lower
> part
> of the airduct? It should not matter for the co-pilot leg, but it seems
> important for the pilot leg; I guess we do not want to bend the brake line
> too much ...
>
> To me, the most natural thing to do seems to drill TWO holes, one for the
> brake line of each leg. The one for the co-pilot leg would be as low as
> possible, so that the brake line smoothly goes on the bottom of the
> airplane
> right in front of the firewall to the co-pilot leg. The other hole, on
> the
> pilot's side, I would drill through the bottom of the fuselage as close as
> possible to the leg, so that the pilot brake line smoothly goes down the
> leg
> to the wheel. What I'm missing here, I guess, is what happens next with
> these nylaflow tubes; how should they transit from the fuselage to the
> legs
> so that they do not get damaged during landings?
>
> So, what did you do with the brake lines in your airplanes? Do you have
> any
> pictures available? I looked at Andy Millin's pictures, but he seems to
> have an entirely different setting for his brake lines: they are of
> aluminum
> instead of nylaflow, and they go through the keel instead of through the
> airduct.
>
> Thank you in advance,
> Grigore
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check
> new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail Check old archives:
> http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
More information about the Reflector
mailing list