REFLECTOR: panel screws

Grigore Rosu grosu at cs.uiuc.edu
Sat Mar 4 15:02:36 CST 2006


Thanks everybody for the great answers!  I'll just follow Joe's suggestion 
and use 1/8" cleco's for the time being.  Yes, Kurt, my fuselage is all in 
one piece, I ordered the fast built kit.

Grigore

On Sat, 4 Mar 2006, Joe Ewen wrote:

> I would not use screws at this point.  Drill 1/8" holes (where the screws 
> will eventually go) and use clecos.  You will be taking the panel out and 
> reinstalling it a number of times and better to not wear out the nut plates.
> Joe
>
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Grigore Rosu" <grosu at cs.uiuc.edu>
> To: "Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list" <reflector at tvbf.org>
> Sent: Saturday, March 04, 2006 12:55 PM
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: panel screws
>
>
>> Kurt,
>> 
>> Thanks for the input.  You are way more advanced than I am.  I only 
>> finished the speed brake, the keel and the master cylinders, so I got to 
>> the panel fitting following the building flowchart provided by Velocity. I 
>> sended it (it took me more than 3 hours of caferful sanding until it 
>> eventually fit) and now, following the manual, I'm supposed to drill the 
>> eight holes.  However, I don't know the size of those holes and the manual 
>> doesn't say anything about it.  So I was curious what people typically do.
>> I'd like at least to know what would a minimal size be, because I can 
>> enlarge them later.  3/16"?
>> 
>> But probably I should do what John suggested: leave it for later (though 
>> this is hard, because, after all these hours of sending and fitting, I'd 
>> really want to see how the panel would look like) :-)
>> 
>> Best,
>> Grigore
>> 
>> On Sat, 4 Mar 2006 NMFlyer1 at aol.com wrote:
>> 
>>> Grigore,
>>> 
>>> I put Button Head Cap screws in my panel. They are hex drives, and I like
>>> the way they look in a finished panel. They come Black, and go quite well 
>>> with
>>> what I have done.
>>> I decided against the removable panel for the throttle and mixture 
>>> controls,
>>> but I am not yet flying.
>>>  One thing for sure. If you go with an alternative engine, as I did, it 
>>> will
>>> take you much longer to build. Given that extra time, many things change 
>>> as
>>> you are building. New products, new ideas, etc. So, you can either wait 
>>> and do
>>> those things at the end, or you can try to allow for some modifications to
>>> your original plan.
>>> I ended up changing a couple things in my panel, just due to new products
>>> and innovations.
>>> I took the CD player out, and installed an input for MP3 or Ipod. I have 
>>> the
>>> Garmin 340 audio panel, but will probably slide in the PMA8000 with 
>>> Satellite
>>> radio once I am flying.
>>> I installed a TCAD in that CD spot. I also took out my number 2 nav, and
>>> replaced it with a SL-30 (since they became somewhat affordable). I also 
>>> added a
>>> Tru-Trak altitude auto pilot (I already had a navaid devices AP 
>>> installed).
>>> 
>>> Have fun.  This stuff is a blast!.
>>> 
>>> Kurt
>>> 
>> _______________________________________________
>> To change your email address, visit 
>> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>> 
>> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>> 
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit 
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>


More information about the Reflector mailing list