REFLECTOR: Aircraft Condition Notice

Andrew Ellzey ajlz72756 at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 4 09:45:16 CST 2006


I think that the FAA is reaching to say that it is unsafe not to have a 
spinner on a pusher aircraft. As far as safety wire on your prop bolts, they 
have raised a valid issue. The question is have you ever found your prop 
bolts loose? And if so, how many hours had you flown before they were found? 
You could add the safety wire and have a schedule for checking your prop 
bolts after so many hours. What did the FAA inspector that granted the 
experimental certificate say about this issue? You should contact the 
inspector that sited you and express your concerns, and your prop makers 
original direction of checking the torque before every flight. There is a 
reason our aircraft are called experimental. Is this requirement stated in 
you aircraft flight manual? If so I would think the FAA would agree that you 
are OK. If not, request to add it because of your concerns. You should get 
his reply in writing. Keep records of all your communications with the FAA. 
If he rules against your concerns, ask what regulation he is using for his 
ruling. Let everyone know your findings.

My personal thoughts, I wouldn't like flying around (without) safety wire on 
my prop. I would think that you should know how many hours you could fly 
before a re-torque would be needed from your experience on any loose bolt 
findings. If you have found that your prop was loose, was it from the fact 
that there wasn't any safety wire, or the prop hub compressing? I wouldn't 
like either one.

Andy Ellzey A&P

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Wayne" <wowens at darientel.net>
To: "Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list" <reflector at tvbf.org>
Sent: Saturday, March 04, 2006 8:56 AM
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Aircraft Condition Notice


> It seems to me that the manufacturer  determines whether the aircraft 
> requires a spinner.
> Does the 43-13 show anywhere where all aircraft require a spinner?
> Wayne
>
> ----- Original Message ----- 
> From: "Joe Ewen" <jewen at comporium.net>
> To: "Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list" <reflector at tvbf.org>
> Sent: Saturday, March 04, 2006 9:26 AM
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Aircraft Condition Notice
>
>
>> John,
>> Please let us know what you find out.  I also have an IVO (not flying 
>> yet.) Do you have the electric adjustable? If so, may I ask what spinner 
>> you are using.
>> Thanks,
>> Joe
>>
>>
>> ----- Original Message ----- 
>> From: "John Dibble" <aminetech at bluefrog.com>
>> To: "Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list" <reflector at tvbf.org>
>> Sent: Friday, March 03, 2006 2:27 PM
>> Subject: REFLECTOR: Aircraft Condition Notice
>>
>>
>>> While parked in the friendly state of TX last weekend an inspector 
>>> determined that
>>> conditions exist that are considered to be an imminent hazard to safety 
>>> (hmm, is
>>> safety in danger somehow?) and sent me a notice.  Two items are 1- no 
>>> prop spinner
>>> installed, and 2- no prop restraint bolts.  I have the IVO prop and as 
>>> others have
>>> commented, I leave the spinner off because I check the bolt torque each 
>>> time I fly.  I
>>> contacted IVO.  The technical response was that they don't want safety 
>>> wire because
>>> they want me to check the torque often.  Also they feel the locknuts and 
>>> safety tape
>>> between the blades will assure the bolts are tight.  Their legal 
>>> response was do
>>> whatever the FAA tells me to do.
>>> On the back of the notice is says that there is no penalty if I don't 
>>> respond, but
>>> that operation in an unairworthy condition violates FAA regulations.
>>> I will appreciate any comments on what to do.
>>> Thanks,
>>> John
>>>
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> To change your email address, visit 
>>> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>>
>>> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>>>
>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> To change your email address, visit 
>> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>
>> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>>
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit 
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
> 



More information about the Reflector mailing list