REFLECTOR: Aircraft Condition Notice

John Dibble aminetech at bluefrog.com
Fri Mar 3 13:27:55 CST 2006


While parked in the friendly state of TX last weekend an inspector determined that
conditions exist that are considered to be an imminent hazard to safety (hmm, is
safety in danger somehow?) and sent me a notice.  Two items are 1- no prop spinner
installed, and 2- no prop restraint bolts.  I have the IVO prop and as others have
commented, I leave the spinner off because I check the bolt torque each time I fly.  I
contacted IVO.  The technical response was that they don't want safety wire because
they want me to check the torque often.  Also they feel the locknuts and safety tape
between the blades will assure the bolts are tight.  Their legal response was do
whatever the FAA tells me to do.
On the back of the notice is says that there is no penalty if I don't respond, but
that operation in an unairworthy condition violates FAA regulations.
I will appreciate any comments on what to do.
Thanks,
John



More information about the Reflector mailing list