REFLECTOR: Sparrow Strainer

John Dibble aminetech at bluefrog.com
Fri Mar 3 09:10:41 CST 2006


Al,
I agree this needs to be sorted out.  Having flown 2 x 2hour trips, I'm
liking the inverted strainer better and better.  Climbs and descents are
much more stable.  Before it cycled a lot and it was hard to find a
sweet spot.  As I mentioned before, much less trim is needed and this
means that if my trim motor fails, a lot less hand force will be needed.

Keith,
IMO, the inverted strainer is not equally acceptable, it is much better
and the way I think it should be.

John

Al Gietzen wrote:

> Subject: REFLECTOR: Sparrow Strainer
>
> Just did a test flight after reversing the strainer and I want to say
>
> THANK YOU STEVE KORNEY!  What a difference.   Before, I ran out of
> trim
>
> at 155 KIAS.  Today I got up to 172 and still had trim left.  Also,
>
> understandibly, there is less trimming needed when transitioning from
> TO
>
> to cruise and vice versa for landing.  Also landings are easier, I
> guess
>
> because the strainer is continually lowering the elevator a bit as I
>
> slow down.  I did not notice any difference in pitch stability.  This
> is
>
> definitely the way to have the strainer installed.
>
> John
>
> I▓m wondering if I▓m the only one that is a bit ▒troubled▓ by this.  I
> mean ⌠Which is it?■  We▓re not talking about adjusting things a
> little, or changing the angle of incidence √ we▓re talking about
> completely opposite.  The factory is saying put the airfoil on
> inverted so it works against the trim, and you guys are finding that
> it works best for the airfoil to be right side up and working to
> assist the trim.  It seems to me this should be more than a matter of
> personal preference.  It seems somebody has it backwards; it seems an
> issue that needs some resolution.
>
> I guess I▓ll just try it both ways and see which I like better.  Now
> that▓s science (or is that sarcasm).
>
> Al (slightly over-dramatic for effect)
>
>    ----------------------------------------------------------------
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20060303/afc8ff9a/attachment.htm


More information about the Reflector mailing list