REFLECTOR: Nosewheel shimmy_1
Pat Shea
xl340hp at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 27 00:37:27 CDT 2006
Sid,
If the profile area and arm of your mass support is
too large, the air flow will try to turn the wheel
around in flight. However, it *looks* like the profile
area of the wheel/tire will dominate (even with a
shorter arm). If I recall, the F-15's arm/mass had a
very low profile area.
Also, depending on the design of your nose gear
guides, it looks like the mass support could get hung
up on them. Combine this with (as Al pointed out) the
mass causing nose gear to be less self centering (or
worse) once retracted, you could have a problem...
Pat
--- Sid Knox <sbjknox at earthlink.net> wrote:
> No shimmy observed. I was feeling pretty smart until
> my teenage son
> pointed-out one potentially serious flaw in the
> scheme. As I was digesting
> that one, I thought of another probably catastrophic
> flaw.
>
> This message is getting rather long so I will
> continue the tale in a
> follow-up. Anyone want to guess what are the two
> flaws? (clearance up in the
> nose when retracted was not one of them... there is
> a bunch of space up
> there).
>
> Sid Knox
> Oklahoma
> Velocity N199RS
> W7QJQ
__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
http://mail.yahoo.com
More information about the Reflector
mailing list