REFLECTOR: optical low fuel sensor

steve korney s_korney at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 22 12:01:24 CDT 2006


So..... How does it hook up....?

Best... Steve



----Original Message Follows----
From: "Dean May" <deanmay7 at owc.net>
Reply-To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
To: "Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list" <reflector at tvbf.org>
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: optical low fuel sensor
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 11:37:10 -0500

Well, after further examination, I discovered that the wiring diagram is
printed onto the sensor body.  There was no diagram in the instructions
included, and the sensor itself was the last place I thought to look.

Dean May
STDRG

----- Original Message -----
From: "Brian Michalk" <michalk at awpi.com>
To: "Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list" <reflector at tvbf.org>
Sent: Thursday, June 22, 2006 12:26 PM
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: optical low fuel sensor


I think others may have answered your question as well, but here is a
different response.

+12v to sensor
gnd to sensor
------
+12v to instrument panel annunciator
from annunciator to sensor

Dean May wrote:
 > Ok I purchased this optical level sensor, but now how do I wire it in?
 > The
 > old mechanical sensor had two wires and this has three. Any ideas?
 >
 > Dean May
 > N474MA   STDRG
 > ----- Original Message -----
 > From: "Brian Michalk" <michalk at awpi.com>
 > To: "Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list" <reflector at tvbf.org>
 > Sent: Thursday, June 15, 2006 10:49 PM
 > Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: optical low fuel sensor
 >
 >
 > McMaster-Carr, 4949K43, $79.65
 > http://www.mcmaster.com/catalog/112/gfx/large/4949kp1l.gif
 >
 > Control the liquid level in your tank without a float—an infrared light
 > beam does all the work. When the tip is immersed (or exposed), the beam
 > refracts (or stops refracting) and activates the sensor output. Sensors
 > have an LED signal to indicate when output is on. Sensors are sensitive
 > to light, so they need to be shielded or used in an enclosed tank.
 > Maximum output is at the input voltage. Polyamid housing is best for use
 > with solvents, polysulfone housing will stand up to most acids and
 > bases, and carbon steel housing is the choice for high-pressure
 > applications. Output when wet sensors activate when the tip is immersed;
 > use to empty a tank. Output when dry sensors activate when there is no
 > liquid present; use to fill a tank.
 >
 >
 > Check out
 > http://www.tvbf.org/gallery/index.php?dir=Sump%20Tank%20-%20FG%2F
 > I've got three pictures at the end of my installation.
 >
 > I tried testing it in a foam cup.  It didn't work.  I think the signal
 > was bouncing around the cup and re-entering.  It worked just fine at
 > engine start.  I'm not yet flying.
 >
 >
 >
 > Robin Wesley Ream wrote:
 >
 >>Do you have an installation picture of this on-line somewhere?
 >>Robin
 >>
 >>----- Original Message ----- From: "michalk" <michalk at awpi.com>
 >>To: "Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list" <reflector at tvbf.org>
 >>Sent: Thursday, June 15, 2006 10:44 AM
 >>Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: optical low fuel sensor
 >>
 >>
 >>
 >>>I bought mine from McMaster Carr.  It's cheaper than the Gems sensors.
 >>>I'll try to remember the model number.
 >>>
 >>>The float type didn't work.  I ended up drilling it out because it
 >>>wouldn't come out.  I then inserted a brass bushing in it's place and
 >>>installed this new optical sensor.
 >>>
 >>>Dr. Golf wrote:
 >>>
 >>>
 >>>>Does anyone know the supplier and part number for the
 >>>>optical sensor?
 >>>>Joel
 >>>>
 >>>>
 >>>>__________________________________________________
 >>>>Do You Yahoo!?
 >>>>Tired of spam?  Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
 >>>>http://mail.yahoo.com _______________________________________________
 >>>>To change your email address, visit
 >>>>http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
 >>>>
 >>>>Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
 >>>>user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
 >>>>Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
 >>>>Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
 >>>
 >>>
 >>>_______________________________________________
 >>>To change your email address, visit
 >>>http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
 >>>
 >>>Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
 >>>user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
 >>>Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
 >>>Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
 >>>
 >>
 >>_______________________________________________
 >>To change your email address, visit
 >>http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
 >>
 >>Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
 >>user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
 >>Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
 >>Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
 >
 >
 > _______________________________________________
 > To change your email address, visit
 > http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
 >
 > Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
 > user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
 > Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
 > Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
 >
 > _______________________________________________
 > To change your email address, visit
 > http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
 >
 > Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
 > user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
 > Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
 > Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html

_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html

_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit 
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html




More information about the Reflector mailing list