REFLECTOR: Thermocouple wire size???

Brian Michalk michalk at awpi.com
Thu Jul 20 23:12:40 CDT 2006


The resistance of your probes most likely does not matter then.

Scott Derrick wrote:
> I'm connecting standard Type K & J thermocouples, bayonet type to a 
> Vision Micro EIS.
> 
> Scott
> 
> michalk wrote:
> 
>>It matters what the thermocouple is connected to.
>>On my Westach gauge, it specifies the resistance of the thermocouple. 
>>Since the gauge is essentially a very sensitive current meter, the 
>>resistance of the thermocouple is important.
>>
>>If connecting to a thermocouple amplifier, such as the AD594/AD595, 
>>which is a glorified op-amp, then it's a voltage device, and the 
>>thermocouple resistance doesn't matter.
>>
>>Thermocouple wire is very high resistance per foot.  Depending on the 
>>type, it's around 1 ohm per foot for the 24 gauge wire, as far as I 
>>recall.  I have the numbers around somewhere.  I use thermocouple wire 
>>in my circuits when I need a good low ohm resistor, simply trim to the 
>>correct resistance.
>>
>>Scott Derrick wrote:
>>  
>>
>>>anybody know what wire size(gauge) I need?  for thermocouple wire? 
>>>
>>>stranded better than solid?
>>>
>>>Scott
>>>
>>>    
>>
>>_______________________________________________
>>To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>
>>Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>>user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>>Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>>Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>>
>>
>>
>>  
> 
> 



More information about the Reflector mailing list