REFLECTOR: Cooling VG's

Pat Shea xl340hp at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 18 14:01:39 CDT 2006


Chuck,

Wow, 20-30*F is impressive! Did you have the shorter
(1/4") VG's in front of your overhead naca's before
installing the taller ones? If so, consider sticking
w/ the larger VG's for the nose oil cooler too. I
tried placing shorter (1/4") VG's in front of my nose
oil cooler inlet but didn't get any noticeable cooling
benefit. A few others also reported similar (poor)
results - I assume they were using the 1/4" VG's too. 

However, Larry Coen reported a 20* oil T drop from
placing VG's in front of the nose oil cooler inlet
using the taller VG's. Maybe taller in the ticket?
It's a very small data sample, but it's all we got
right now...  


FWIW, Pat

--- Chuck Harbert <c.harbert at comcast.net> wrote:

> 
> After reading the recent postings on cooling, I
> installed larger VG's in 
> front of my overhead NACA inlets and my CHT temps
> were lowered significantly 
> (20-30F). Previously, I had used the small VG's
> (1/4" tall) and my CHT's 
> would get up to 425F on climb out on a not-very hot
> day (75F). I made up a 
> set 1/2" tall VG's and my CHT never got up to 400F
> on an 85F day on climb 
> out, plus they cooled to 360-370F in cruise. Next
> I'm going to see if the 
> small VG's will reduce oil temp, although it's not a
> problem (climb out 
> 210F, cruise 185F).
> Chuck H
> Std RG IO-360


__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Tired of spam?  Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around 
http://mail.yahoo.com 


More information about the Reflector mailing list