REFLECTOR: Oil cooler VG photo
Jim Agnew
jim_agnew_2 at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 16 13:58:43 CDT 2006
My good friend an international race drive, race car builder, and engineer really knows oil coolers including aviation (he designed the engine for the Benson Gyro copter) came over to the hanger when I was having oil temp problems and on look at the oil cooler said that you should only expect a temperature differential of 15-20 degrees with the Velocity oil cooler. Remember most of his cars were as fast as the Velocity and the cooling systems were optimized for 300-500 HP.
Jim
James F. Agnew
Jim_Agnew_2 at Yahoo.Com
Tampa, FL
Velocity 173 Elite Aircraft Completed & Flying
----- Original Message ----
From: Brian Michalk <michalk at awpi.com>
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
Sent: Sunday, July 16, 2006 2:07:01 PM
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Oil cooler VG photo
I always wonder, when I hear of the problems people have had. I've
never seen the data that's conclusive.
Most times the data is conflicting. Two seemingly identical
installations; one no problem, the other big problems.
It sounds like you've done a lot of work here.
I would like to see the temperatures and flows associated with the oil
cooler. Should be simple. I'm only asking for four parameters:
1) Outside Air temp
2) Cooler exhaust air temp
3) Oil inlet temp
4) Oil outlet temp
nice to have:
5) Oil flow
6) Air flow
In everything I've seen on the reflector, I have never come across
anyone that has information on all these parameters. I've seen lots of
modifications that have claimed benefits, but then there's no data that
we can look at to tell which parameter change provided the benefit.
It's frustrating. I'm still building, and have no right to tell others
they are doing us builders a disservice. There's just a dearth of good
information. Heck, even just basic tuft testing. I'm only aware of (I
think) Sid Knox that did tufting on his V. That's the kind of stuff I'm
looking for. It's cheap, yet very few people seem willing to put in the
effort to gather good data.
When I think "experimental aircraft", this is the image that comes to
mind. Yeah, you can go places too for those $140 (inflation) hamburgers.
I hope when I'm flying I still have the inclination to collect this data
and share it with the rest so they can make better airplanes.
Dave Nelson wrote:
> Thanks much for the tips, Scott - and for the speedy response. Here's more
> background...
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20060716/d4c9d393/attachment.html
More information about the Reflector
mailing list