REFLECTOR: RAM air and a "cold box" intake
Douglas Holub
doug.holub at comcast.net
Sun Jul 9 00:27:22 CDT 2006
The ECI IO-340 engine (www.eci2fly) does that also. Sounds like a good idea
to me.
----- Original Message -----
From: "matt" <mbuc310 at cox.net>
To: <reflector at tvbf.org>
Sent: Saturday, July 08, 2006 6:29 PM
Subject: REFLECTOR: RAM air and a "cold box" intake
> Have any of you ever heard of, or tried this?
> http://musclebiplane.org/htmlfile/motor.htm
> It re-routes the intake runners/plenum out of the oil sump to keep the
> intake air cooler, according the the article.
> Matt
>
>
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Message: 1
> Date: Sat, 08 Jul 2006 18:15:31 +0000
> From: "steve korney" <s_korney at hotmail.com>
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: ram air
> To: reflector at tvbf.org
> Message-ID: <BAY101-F23D27DEABF457FC75134B1E7750 at phx.gbl>
> Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed
>
> Hi Pat...
>
> I won't run my engine at full throttle on the ground, not even on
> take-off until I get moving about 20 mph...
> So, I use my ambient MP gauge reading with engine off, against my dynamic
> MP
> gauge reading at 220 kts. ias WOT... If I were to add in the loss of any
> restrictions in my induction system, then I would be getting more then 2
> inches of Ram Air MP increase. This way I eliminate any error in the
> gauge
> and any losses through the system and only show net gain...I have a
> forward
> facing intake system on my Glasair... Straight through the Airflow
> Performance FM-200 into the intake manifold... No Filter on Ram Air...The
> difference between filtered air and ram air is about 2.5 inches of MP at
> any
> speed... That shows how bad my filtered air is working as far as
> performance
> goes, but does a good job of keeping junk out of my engine. I can live
> with 28 MP inches of filtered air for take-off most places... If I'm at
> Big
> Bear on a hot day, I just open the ram air butterfly and I have an extra
> 2.5
> inches for take-off..
>
>
> Best... Steve
>
>
>
> ----Original Message Follows----
> From: Pat Shea <xl340hp at yahoo.com>
> Reply-To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
> To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: ram air
> Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2006 01:18:26 -0700 (PDT)
>
> Okay Steve,
>
> So assuming you didn't go out on a standard day, what
> reference did you use to determine your 2" of ram?
>
> The local barometer reading?
>
> Your ambient MP gauge reading?
>
> I'm running a filtered induction. Here's a realistic
> scenario: The local baro setting is 30.0". With my
> engine off the MP on my Vision Microsystems gauge
> reads 29.0". In the run-up area at WOT the gauge reads
> 28.0". I think that means I have a pressure loss of 1"
> across my plumbing/filter. Now, during a high speed
> pass down that runway at WOT my MP gauge reads 29.0".
> That means I'm getting 1" of ram pressure right - just
> enough to offset my plumbing/filter losses?
>
> It seems to me that comparing your static WOT MP
> reading to your MP reading during a high speed low
> pass at WOT down that runway would be the most
> accurate way to determine your true ram. This way you
> eliminate any errors in you MP gauge calibration and
> account for any restrictions in your induction system.
>
>
> What's funny is that I hear a lot of people talk about
> ram but not how they derive it. I suspect that it's
> being derived lots of different ways and therefore not
> easy to compare and contrast.
>
> Pat
>
> --- steve korney <s_korney at hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > This little chart assumes std. day : sea level,
> > 29.92, and 59 f.
> > It's what the front of the airplane is up against at
> > different speeds...
> >
> > In my Glasair, I see up to 2 inches of ram pressure
> > on the manifold pressure
> > gauge at sea level @ 220 kts. ias.... ie. 32 inches
> > of manifold pressure on
> > a std. day...
> >
> > Best... Steve
> >
> >
>
>
>
>
> _____
> Message: 2
> Date: Sat, 08 Jul 2006 18:24:50 +0000
> From: "steve korney" <s_korney at hotmail.com>
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: ram air
> To: reflector at tvbf.org
> Message-ID: <BAY101-F254BCC4DA8E63DA5866FA3E7750 at phx.gbl>
> Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed
>
> By the way Pat...
>
> That chart only shows Ram Pressure at a given speed.... It's not intended
> to account for any losses in our systems... So, we can use it to determine
> just how good our systems work compared to other systems out there, and
> all
> we need is a MP gauge and airspeed indicator that's close to accurate and
> has good resolution...
>
> Best... Steve
>
>
>
> ----Original Message Follows----
> From: Pat Shea <xl340hp at yahoo.com>
> Reply-To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
> To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: ram air
> Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2006 01:18:26 -0700 (PDT)
>
> Okay Steve,
>
> So assuming you didn't go out on a standard day, what
> reference did you use to determine your 2" of ram?
>
> The local barometer reading?
>
> Your ambient MP gauge reading?
>
> I'm running a filtered induction. Here's a realistic
> scenario: The local baro setting is 30.0". With my
> engine off the MP on my Vision Microsystems gauge
> reads 29.0". In the run-up area at WOT the gauge reads
> 28.0". I think that means I have a pressure loss of 1"
> across my plumbing/filter. Now, during a high speed
> pass down that runway at WOT my MP gauge reads 29.0".
> That means I'm getting 1" of ram pressure right - just
> enough to offset my plumbing/filter losses?
>
> It seems to me that comparing your static WOT MP
> reading to your MP reading during a high speed low
> pass at WOT down that runway would be the most
> accurate way to determine your true ram. This way you
> eliminate any errors in you MP gauge calibration and
> account for any restrictions in your induction system.
>
>
> What's funny is that I hear a lot of people talk about
> ram but not how they derive it. I suspect that it's
> being derived lots of different ways and therefore not
> easy to compare and contrast.
>
> Pat
>
> --- steve korney <s_korney at hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > This little chart assumes std. day : sea level,
> > 29.92, and 59 f.
> > It's what the front of the airplane is up against at
> > different speeds...
> >
> > In my Glasair, I see up to 2 inches of ram pressure
> > on the manifold pressure
> > gauge at sea level @ 220 kts. ias.... ie. 32 inches
> > of manifold pressure on
> > a std. day...
> >
> > Best... Steve
> >
> >
>
>
>
>
> __________________________________________________
> Do You Yahoo!?
> Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
> http://mail.yahoo.com
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
>
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
More information about the Reflector
mailing list