REFLECTOR: Another aerodynamic question

Bruce Topp bdtopp at comcast.net
Sat Jul 8 18:27:27 CDT 2006


Dave,
   How do you know that the elevators are not aligned with each other?  The
reason I ask this is because if you were checking alignment at the outboard
ends by the canard tips, if could mean the canard tips were not put on
perfectly straight.  The only way (according to manual) to check elevator
alignment would be to level the aircraft side to side and compare the
elevators with an inclinometer with the elevators in the neutral position.
Something to think about.  In theory, your elevators could be just fine.

Bruce
XL-FG
-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of Dave Philipsen
Sent: Saturday, July 08, 2006 3:52 PM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Another aerodynamic question

Thanks, everyone, for your replies.  I'll have to take a closer look at 
everything when I get a chance.  From what I remember seeing, I don't 
recall that there was any easy way of adjusting the elevators 
separately.  I think the control rod / shaft or whatever you call it is 
solid between both elevators so it seems that the bell crank would have 
to be removed an perhaps re-drilled.  I'm not too familiar with how it 
all goes together so I'm just guessing here.  I went out to the hangar 
today and looked at it again.  It seems the disparity is probably 3/16 
of an inch or less and that's assuming that the canard itself is 
straight and level.



Alex Balic wrote:
> I think that the problem that Dave has is that the elevators are not lined
> up with each other- this could be more difficult to fix- other than
welding
> and re-drilling, the elevators are fixed in position to their bell crank
> arms, so changing the rod end would move them both the dame distance- not
> too sure how to move just one- and it would certainly cause a rolling
moment
> if one since of the canard is generating more lift than the other....
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
> Behalf Of Scott Derrick
> Sent: Saturday, July 08, 2006 8:59 AM
> To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Another aerodynamic question
>
> Dave,
>
> The elevators can get out of alignment.  Its easy to adjust. Under the 
> panel is a long 3/8 bolt that attaches the two elevators together, there 
> is a spacer and the control rod end between the two elevator attach 
> tabs, loosen the bolt/nut. Either move the elevators so they are even, 
> or have somebody outside hold them so they are even,  then tighten the 
> bolt.
>
> If this doesn't make sense just look under the panel, follow the 
> elevator control rod from the stick up to the elevator and you will see 
> how they are attached together and  how the adjustment can be made.
>
> Scott
>
> Dave Philipsen wrote:
>   
>> I was doing a little 'transition training' today with Curt Smith, a CFI 
>> in southern IL who also happens to be a Cozy flyer.  We slowed the Velo 
>> down until we started to get the slight oscillation in pitch from the 
>> canard as it started to stall. With the two of us and full fuel, the 
>> airspeed indicator indicated that to be about 65-70 kts.  At this slow 
>> speed, we both noticed a tendency for the plane to roll to the left a 
>> little.  The roll could be corrected with a little right rudder but the 
>> response from the ailerons was a bit sluggish at that slow speed.  We 
>> also noticed that the trailing edge of the canard elevator is just a bit 
>> higher on the right side than on the left.  It seemed to be maybe 
>> 1/4-inch to 3/8-inch higher.  My first question is:  can this be 
>> adjusted out?  Secondly:  Could it be the cause of the left rolling 
>> tendency near canard stall speed?  I also noticed just a slight left 
>> turning tendency even at cruise.  My ailerons appear to be flush with 
>> both wings at their neutral position.
>>
>>   
>>     
>
>   

-- 
Dave Philipsen
STDFG
N171SP

soon-to-be N83DP

_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html




More information about the Reflector mailing list