REFLECTOR: ram air

Pat Shea xl340hp at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 8 16:17:49 CDT 2006


Thanks for the info Steve,

I've only done a few full power runs - my static MP at
WOT was consistently 1" below the ambient reading on
my MP guage (engine off) - so now I just deduct 1" off
of the ambient reading.

In your case, using the ambient MP makes sense since
it sounds like your induction losses are minimal. 

Since I'm running a filtered induction only, then I
think using the static MP makes more sense. I guess
the real test is to remove my filter and verify that I
get 1" of ram over ambient (assuming most of my loss
is coming from the filter). If you only talk about net
gains, then you can't compare the ram between filtered
and non filtered systems.

Pat  

--- steve korney <s_korney at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Pat...
> 
>     I won't run my engine at full throttle on the
> ground, not even on 
> take-off until I get moving about 20 mph...
> So, I use my ambient MP gauge reading with engine
> off, against my dynamic MP 
> gauge reading at 220 kts. ias WOT... If I were to
> add in the loss of any 
> restrictions in my induction system, then I would be
> getting more then 2 
> inches of Ram Air MP increase.  This way I eliminate
> any error in the gauge 
> and any losses through the system and only show net
> gain...I have a forward 
> facing intake system on my Glasair... Straight
> through the Airflow 
> Performance FM-200 into the intake manifold... No
> Filter on Ram Air...The 
> difference between filtered air and ram air is about
> 2.5 inches of MP at any 
> speed... That shows how bad my filtered air is
> working as far as performance 
> goes, but does a good job of keeping junk out of my
> engine.   I can live 
> with 28 MP inches of filtered air for take-off most
> places...  If I'm at Big 
> Bear on a hot day, I just open the ram air butterfly
> and I have an extra 2.5 
> inches for take-off..
> 
> 
> Best... Steve


__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Tired of spam?  Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around 
http://mail.yahoo.com 


More information about the Reflector mailing list