REFLECTOR: ram air
Al Gietzen
ALVentures at cox.net
Thu Jul 6 09:59:45 CDT 2006
I'm a little confused about the aerodynamics of bringing the air into the
cowl, though. I don't want to give up the head room in the back seat with
naca ducts, and I saw some pictures of the air pressure gradients on a
LongEz that makes me suspect that ducts above the spar and next to the
fuselage would be an efficient way to get down draft air to the Lycoming
cylinder heads. But do I mount the intake duct flush with the strake and
fuselage, or leave an inch or so of space in order to get out of the
boundary layer. I've attached a crude sketch so I don't have to write so
much. Is A, B, or C the best?
Doug Holub
>>>>>>>>
I don't see any reason to expect a high pressure area above the strake at
the strake/fuselage intersection; so if you are going there your sketch "A"
is going to work the best. And then you may want to get it up away from the
stake a bit to better allow BL diversion. For cooling air you'd likely be
better off with such a scoop below the strake where there would be higher
pressure at high angle of attack.
FWIW,
Al
More information about the Reflector
mailing list