REFLECTOR: Novice question

Andrew Ellzey ajlz72756 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 4 15:36:44 CDT 2006


Your on the right track.

Andy
  ----- Original Message ----- 
  From: Jack Prock 
  To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list 
  Sent: Tuesday, July 04, 2006 2:58 PM
  Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Novice question


  Well, I spent about two hours or so last night pulling each strand in the UNI side. There were MAJOR squiggles
  throughout the cloth. Each strand needed 5 to 8 inches pulled out of it. 
  But you could see the strand straighten as I pulled...kinda cool! The cloth now looks real smooth .
  After this effort. I am very happy with the future strength of this cloth. A few minor squiggles remain, 
  but I will pull a few of those out this afternoon when I do my first wing lay up. It may be overkill to pull every squiggle out,
  but it will me my butt up there at 12000 feet in turbulence, and I would like to have the pucker factor as low as possible.

  I cut the cloth about a foot longer than it needed to be.The first wrap of the cloth was dirty from movement, so I decided to throw
  that out. I'm kinda glad I did. When pulling the individual strands, it destroys a few inches of the cloth. 

  Jack
    ----- Original Message ----- 
    From: Nate Jackson 
    To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list 
    Sent: Tuesday, July 04, 2006 9:43 AM
    Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Novice question


    Steve,

    As everyone "been there" will note, just handling the triax creates suiggles. Perhaps I was just lucky with since the triax I received was in good condition.  I filled my wing and then carefully unrolled the triax onto the wing creating no new squiggles.  I cut/trimmend it and took maybe 10-20 minutes for me to straighten minor squiggles.

    Nate
      ----- Original Message ----- 
      From: Steve Goldman 
      To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list 
      Sent: Tuesday, July 04, 2006 8:50 AM
      Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Novice question


      Al Gietzen wrote:
      > 
      > Putting the uni side down probably results in a little smoother upper 
      > surface requiring less additional filler.  And, of course, then no one 
      > will ever see if there are squigglesJ.

      Ahh yes the real reason the factory does uni side down. :-) So again being
      the novice here If you pulled the squiggles out on the cutting table uni
      side up and then very carefully flipped the cloth as you put it on the
      cores it seems like it might be fine. Of course having done no more than
      look at the triax on the tube at this point I don't know if the fibers are
      nearly stable enough to do this.

      --
      Steve
      _______________________________________________
      To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

      Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
      user:pw       Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
      Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html



------------------------------------------------------------------------------


  _______________________________________________
  To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

  Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
  user:pw   Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
  Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20060704/671e7969/attachment.htm 


More information about the Reflector mailing list