REFLECTOR: Novice question re: TRIAX

Keith Hallsten KeithHallsten at quiknet.com
Tue Jul 4 10:06:19 CDT 2006


A lot depends on how the TriAx has been handled in the past.  That includes
the time before it came into your possession.  The Triax that came with my
kit looked as if it had been FOLDED at some point in the past - there were
distinct lines of "squiggles" across it that had to be pulled straight, as
well as lots of the more usual random squiggles.  It needed a LOT of pulling
to get the UNI reasonably straight.  If your TriAx has always been tightly
rolled on a large-diameter stiff tube, it would require less work.


-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of Steve Goldman
Sent: Tuesday, July 04, 2006 5:04 AM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Novice question

Andy Millin wrote:
> Jack,
>  
> I would imagine, and I'm guessing here, that the factory guys are very 
> careful with rolling out the cloth.  I'm sure they have developed the 
> skills to unroll it and NOT introduce squiggles in the uni.  The 
> advantage might be in less filler on the wings with the bid layer up.
>  

So this brings my novice question. I'm a few weeks behind Jack so it'll be a
bit
before I do the wings. I'm wondering about how straight these fibers need to
be.
I read posts from say Andy Ellzey where I get the impression (maybe
incorrectly) that
sounds like straightness is practically checked by laser :-) and then I
watch
the video and it seems that all they were doing is getting the uni flat to
the
surface and that their hands were certainly not blistered by the operation.

My understanding from reading is that what seems to be important is that
there
not be slack in the fibers so that there are no load discontinuities. This
seems
to match what they appear to do in the video. Am I misinterpreting the video
and as Andy supposes above here that they are so much better at keeping the
cloth
in nice shape that they don't have much work left to do?

-- 
Steve
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html




More information about the Reflector mailing list