REFLECTOR: EZ-84 epoxy ratio

Andrew Ellzey ajlz72756 at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 3 18:59:08 CDT 2006


MessageIf and when you get your epoxy pump cleaned and going again, a good check is to notice that the size difference of the tubs (for my pump purchased with my kit from Velocity) is proportional to the correct volume that is needed for a proper mixture of epoxy. Besides checking a small amount that is left in your mixing container after every batch, I have noticed that my tubs will run low and need refilling at the same time. I always fill each to the same full mark every time. I also make sure that I open the top of the hardener 5 gal container and use a wooden stir stick and mix the sediment off of the bottom of the bucket before I fill my pump. I didn't do this for the first 6 to 8 months of my build because the hardener was fresh from the factory. What I started to notice was that my residual epoxy that I was leaving in my mixing containers was taking longer to setup to the correct hardness (scratch test) over time. Even though I had been shaking my bucket before I refilled my pump, I was amazed to see what had settled out in my hardener container. After completely mixing this sediment up my setups returned to the correct hardness and cure times. My next project is to find a large clear plastic container that I can keep a watch on this sediment and to break down and build a heated box large enough for my hardener and pump. I have had to use a heat gun or a hot bright light to heat my pump and hardener bucket several times in my build. This is a pain when you are ready for a lay-up. It seems like 80 degrees is about rite for the temp to keep the hardener from crystallizing. You probably knew all of this already, so take this information for what its worth.

Andy
  ----- Original Message ----- 
  From: Andy Millin 
  To: 'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list' 
  Sent: Monday, July 03, 2006 6:13 PM
  Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: EZ-84 epoxy ratio


  100:44 by weight is correct.  It is something like 100:47 by volume, but I have no idea what I would do with the volume number anyway.

  Andy

    -----Original Message-----
    From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On Behalf Of Darrell & Nora Kufalk
    Sent: Monday, July 03, 2006 5:45 PM
    To: reflector at tvbf.org
    Subject: REFLECTOR: EZ-84 epoxy ratio


    My sticky stuff pump is clogged with old hardener and I'm too lazy to clean it out right now.  I just need to do a small layup with some new hardener I just received.  I did a test layup with a scale and I mixed it 100:44 by weight.  It's still soft 24 hours later.



    Who remembers the correct ratio by weight?







------------------------------------------------------------------------------


  _______________________________________________
  To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

  Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
  user:pw   Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
  Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20060703/299d5dfd/attachment-0001.htm 


More information about the Reflector mailing list